Eastern Michigan University
Help Desk Student Employment
The Help Desk is currently looking for students who can make a two-year commitment to work in an team oriented environment. All majors are encouraged to apply; no advanced computer experience is required. Applicants are rated on their customer service focus and ability to perform creative troubleshooting. Applicants should be comfortable conversing on the phone, working in a customer service environment, and participating on a team.
These positions are expected to provide support, troubleshooting, and training regarding end user software and hardware, and answer network inquiries from the entire university community including students, faculty, and staff. They provide consulting support on a wide range of applications including Microsoft and Macintosh operating systems, Microsoft Office, and other products commonly found in an university environment.
The Help Desk is primarily phone support and extensive on-the-job training is provided.
- Must have at least two (2) full years of classes left.
- Must be a currently enrolled student who meets Career Services minimum requirements for student employment.
- Must possess excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Must have the ability to read and follow directions.
- Must be self motivated with a strong work ethic.
- Must have the ability to communicate technical information to nontechnical users both verbally and in writing.
- Must have ambulatory skills such as the ability to stand, walk, bend, manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights of 10-50 pounds, and be able to travel to various campus locations.
- Must have good hand-eye coordination; arm, hand, and finger dexterity including the ability to grasp; and the visual acuity to use a keyboard, do network cabling, operate equipment, and read technical information.
How to Apply
Please send a current resume to Ben Peters at firstname.lastname@example.org or bring a copy to the Help Desk,106 Halle Library.
A short writing sample, preferably a half-page how-to document, is needed to assess writing skills and the ability to provide clear directions.
Division of Information Technology
118 Pray Harrold
Ypsilanti, MI 48197