Eastern Michigan University
Computer Refresh Program
Welcome to the 2013-2014
Computer Refresh Program
About The Computer Refresh Program (CRP):
- The Computer Refresh Committee (comprised of Faculty Senate representatives, I.T. and campus technicians, and administrative office representatives) determined the Dell and Apple models available in this year's program.
- Computers will be replaced based on the age of the system. I.T. will notify those faculty and staff who are eligible to order a system.
- Eligible faculty and staff will select from standard models of desktop and laptop computers at no charge to their departments.
- Upon request, work-related files and computer settings will be transferred to the new computer.
- The existing computer system must be returned to I.T. for each new system deployed.
- All returned computers will undergo secure erasure before redeployment or disposal.
- Optional accessories (e.g., docking stations) will be available for departments to order separately via vendor websites tailored for EMU. For information on ordering optional accessories please go to Purchasing a Computer
- Positions that are not eligible for the CRP can receive previously-used computers through the I.T. Help Desk's computer cascade process. To request a cascade computer, please fill out the Cascade Request Form .
- Old CRP computers collected that meet current minimum support standards will be securely erased, re-imaged, and made available as cascade computers for positions/needs across campus which are not eligible for the CRP. The cascades are approved by the I.T. Director, Enterprise Support. If you are interested in a cascade for your department please fill out the Cascade Request Form.
- Systems that do not meet minimum support standards will be securely erased and surplussed through the University's standard surplus procedure. For information about unsupported university systems for HOME USE ONLY please visit Digital Inclusion's website.
Program elements that will be changing include:
- The CRP will have two phases. The first phase will concentrate on faculty and areas with campus technicians. The second phase will include administrative areas supported by the Help Desk. If you are unsure which phase you are in please email firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Eligibility has expanded to include Auxiliaries.
Phase I CRP Process: Departments Supported by Campus Technicians
- An email will be sent to campus technicians in April to verify their rosters. Once rosters are verified and approved, Campus Technicians will be asked to provide old CRP machine cascade plans. After I.T. receives and approves the cascade plans, Campus Technicians will be sent instructions on how to place orders.
- Campus Technicians will work with eligible individuals to place orders by June 15.
- Campus Technicians or Department Heads need to forward the Computer Refresh Program Order Confirmation to email@example.com .
- Computer delivery and placement will be done by the Campus Technician. Campus Technicians will collect the old CRP computer at the time of placement.
- If you have questions regarding ordering or computer delivery and placement, please contact your Campus Technician.
Phase 2 CRP Process: Departments Supported by the I.T. Help Desk
- An email will be sent to Departments in April requesting them to verify their rosters. Once their roster is verified, they will receive an e-mail confirming their updated roster.
- An email will be sent to eligible individuals in July letting them know it is time to place CRP orders.
- Eligible individuals supported by the I.T. Help Desk can place orders until October 31 by using the Computer Refresh Program Order Form. Order forms will include a CRP Checklist and preferred delivery date. The order confirmation form must be submitted to the department head (or director, vice president as applicable).
- Computer Refresh Program Order Confirmation must be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org by the department head (or director, vice president as applicable) by October 31.
- Computer Delivery and placement will be done by the I.T. Help Desk when the eligible individual is ready for placement. I.T. Help Desk Staff will collect the old CRP machine at the time of placement.
- If you have questions please contact email@example.com .
Computer Purchases Outside of the CRP Program
The Division of I.T. continues to maintain a list of supported desktop and laptop systems available from Dell and Apple. Departments that need to purchase additional computers during the fiscal year should go to Purchasing a Computer to create quotes from EMU's Dell Premier site (Equote) or Apple Custom Store (proposal). The quotes should then be sent to the Purchasing Department along with an online requisition. If you have questions about generating a quote for supported systems, please contact the I.T. Help Desk. If you have questions about creating an online requisition please contact Purchasing.
Division of Information Technology
118 Pray Harrold
Ypsilanti, MI 48197