Eastern Michigan University
Computer Refresh Program
Welcome to the 2014-2015
Computer Refresh Program (CRP)
About the CRP
- The Computer Refresh Committee selects the Dell and Apple computer models available in the CRP program. The committee is comprised of representatives from Faculty Senate, administrative offices, I.T., and campus technicians.
- Computers are replaced based on system age; I.T. notifies faculty and staff members who are eligible to participate.
- Computers returned through the CRP that meet current minimum support standards are securely erased, re-imaged, and reallocated as cascade computers to positions which are not eligible for the CRP.
- An eligible participant may select a standard desktop or laptop computer at no cost to his/her department.
- Computer settings and work-related files will be transferred to a participant's new computer upon request.
- A participant's existing computer system must be returned to I.T. upon receipt of his/her new computer.
- Departments can purchase peripherals through the Apple or Dell educational store. See Purchasing a Computer for more information on placing an order.
- The CRP has been modified to include two phases. Those unsure about their assigned phases can send an email to email@example.com for clarification.
- Phase 1 includes academic departments that are supported by a campus technician.
- Phase 2 includes administrative areas that are supported by the Help Desk.
- CRP eligibility has been expanded to include Auxiliaries.
Phase I Process: Departments Supported by Campus Technicians
- Campus technicians will receive an email by April requesting that they verify their rosters.
- Following roster verification and approval, campus technicians will submit plans for cascading old CRP computers.
- Cascade plans are reviewed and approved by the I.T. Director, Enterprise Support.
- Campus technicians will receive instructions for placing CRP orders.
- Campus technicians will work with eligible participants to place orders by June 1.
- Campus technicians or department heads will forward the CRP Order Confirmation to firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Campus technicians will deliver new computers and place cascade computers. Campus technicians will collect old CRP computers at the time of delivery/placement.
- Questions regarding computer orders, delivery, or placement should be directed to the campus technician that supports your department.
Phase 2 Process: Departments Supported by the I.T. Help Desk
- Departments will receive an email in April requesting that they verify their rosters.
- Following roster verification, departments will receive an email confirming their roster updates.
- Eligible participants will receive an email in July informing them that it is time to place their CRP orders.
- Eligible participants can use the CRP Order Form to place an order until October 31. The CRP Order Form includes a CRP Checklist and an option to specify a preferred delivery date.
- Each participant must forward the CRP Order Confirmation Form to his/her department head, director, or vice president as applicable.
- The department head, director ,or vice president must forward the CRP Order Confirmation Form to email@example.com by October 31.
- I.T. Help Desk staff will deliver the computer when the participant is ready and will collect the old CRP machine at the time of delivery.
- Questions regarding computer orders, delivery, or placement should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Computers returned through the CRP that meet current minimum support standards are securely erased, re-imaged, and reallocated as cascade computers.
- Cascade computers are available for positions that are not eligible for the CRP.
- Cascades must be approved by the I.T. Director, Enterprise Support.
- Departments can request a cascade computer by completing the Cascade Request Form.
- Computers returned through the CRP that do not meet current minimum support standards undergo secure erasure prior to being dispensed through the University's standard surplus procedure. For information on purchasing an obsolete computer system for HOME USE ONLY, visit Digital Inclusion's website at: http://www.direcycle.com/.
Non-CRP Computer Purchases
Departments can purchase standard model computers and peripherals from Apple or Dell. Refer to Purchasing a Computer for detailed information on placing an order.
Division of Information Technology
118 Pray Harrold
Ypsilanti, MI 48197