Eastern Michigan University
Connecting to EMU-Wireless-Secure on Windows 7
Connecting to wireless networks are convenient, but risky. Because wireless networks use radio waves that can pass through walls, your network signal can go beyond the boundaries of the room you inhabit. Generally, most of your internet traffic is openly readable by anyone nearby with the proper tools, allowing them access to information stored on your laptop or mobile device. Use EMU-Wireless-Secure to reduce these risks.
Follow these directions to connect to EMU-Wireless-Secure on Windows 7:
- In your browser's address bar enter http://www.emich.edu/it/files/EMU-Wireless-Secure-7-Installer.exe to download the installer.
- The Opening EMU-Wireless-Secure_Vista-7_Installer.exe window is displayed. Depending on your browser, click the Save or Save File button.
Note: You may be asked where to save the EMU-Wireless-Secure Vista-7 Installer file. We recommend the desktop. The EMU-Wireless-Secure Vista-7 Installer file is downloaded to your computer. If necessary, ignore the request to open the file.
- Locate and double-click the EMU-Wireless-Secure Vista-7 Installer file.
- If User Account Control window is displayed, click the Yes button.
- The Name Setup: Installing window is displayed.
- Once the install is complete the EMU-Wireless-Secure has been configured! window is displayed. Click the OK button.
- The Name Setup: Complete window is displayed. Click the Close button.
- A Additional Information is required to connect to EMU-Wireless-S... balloon tip is displayed in the system tray. Click the balloon tip.
- The Windows Security window is displayed. Type your My.Emich username and password in the User name and Password fields.
- Click the OK button.
- If a message asking to validate a certificate is displayed, click the OK button.
Note: After a few seconds, you will be connected to the EMU-Wireless-Secure network.
Division of Information Technology
118 Pray Harrold
Ypsilanti, MI 48197