Eastern Michigan University
Forgot NetID* Password
(*NetID - formerly your My.Emich credentials.) To reset a forgotten password, you will need to have an alternate email address (not an EMU email address) in your account profile to receive a verification code. If you have never created an alternate email address in your account profile, you will need to contact the Help Desk at 734.487.2120, or visit them at 106 Halle Library.
I.T. recommends that passwords or passphrases (watch the "E-Safe: Passphrases - Having Safe Passwords" video) have a minimum length of 12 characters because longer passwords are harder to crack. Almost any 8-character password can be cracked with powerful computers in less than two hours and 10 characters in a matter of days, but a 12-character password could take years to break.
To reset your forgotten password, you will be asked to input a new password that will be easy for you to remember but hard for others to guess. The Resetting Your Password process will time-out, so it is best to know your password before you begin.
To make passwords strong, they should be at least 12 characters long, include letters, numbers, punctuation marks, and misspelled words. Here are a few examples of strong yet easy to remember passwords:
Perform the following steps to reset your forgotten password:
- Go to https://account.emich.edu.
- Click the Forgotten Password button (Do Not fill in the fields).
- Type your NetID username in the Username field and then click the Search button.
Note: The system will send a verification code to your alternate email address specified in your account profile. If you never created an alternate email address, contact the I.T. Help Desk at 734.487.2120, or visit them at 106 Halle Library.
- Type the verification code you received in the email message in the Code field and then click the Check Code button.
- Type your New password and Confirm Password in the respective fields and then click the Change Password button.
- Click the Continue button in the Success window.
- Click the Logout button in the Update Profile window.
- The Logout window displays. Close your browser window before attempting to log in to My.Emich again.
If you experience problems resetting your password, check the supported browsers page to ensure you're using a compatible system and browser. If you have further questions, please contact the I.T. Help Desk at 734.487.2120 or visit them in 106 Halle Library.
Division of Information Technology
118 Pray Harrold
Ypsilanti, MI 48197