Eastern Michigan University
Sending an Email Message to a Class List
Mailing lists allow you to send to multiple recipients, such as a class list, using a single email address. A mailing list is available for every course section with an assigned instructor and at least three registered students. Student membership is updated every four (4) hours through Banner, the University's administrative system.
- You must use your EMU email address (e.g., email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org) to send an email message to a mailing list.
- Emailing a class list is a two-step process. After you send a message to a class list, the list server will deliver a confirmation message to your inbox. You MUST reply to this confirmation email before your message will be delivered to the list members.
Follow these directions to send a message to a class list from EagleMail:
- From the Mail tab, click the New button in the toolbar.
The Compose page is displayed. Start typing the section's Course Reference Number (CRN) or section title in the To: field.
Note: A section's email address (e.g., email@example.com) consists of the CRN (e.g., 11359), the Banner term code (e.g., 201110) and the email domain (e.g., @emich.edu). See Printing a List of Course Reference Numbers (CRNs) by Term for more information on obtaining a list of your assigned CRNs. Course titles must be entered exactly as listed in the course schedule, including any abbreviations.
- A list of matching email addresses are displayed in the To: field.
Note: If course section email addresses do not display, enable the Global Address List preference. See Enabling the Global Address List for complete instructions.
- Click the section's email address.
Note: Since CRN numbers are reused from year to year, it is possible for duplicate CRNs to appear in the list. If this occurs, select the email address that corresponds to the CRN and term code for the section.
- The selected email address is displayed in the To: field. Type a short description of the message content in the Subject: field.
- Type your message in the Body field.
- When you are finished, click the Send button.
Warning: Use of mailing lists is limited to the assigned instructor and registered students for each section; any other sender will receive a rejection message.Warning: After you click the Send button, the list server will send a confirmation message to your inbox. You must reply to this confirmation email before your message will be delivered to the list members. This step is necessary to prevent spoofing (i.e., to make sure the message really came from you, the sender). Instructions are listed below and are also included in the confirmation email.
- From your Inbox, click to select the email response message.
- Click the Reply button.
- A new message is displayed with an address in the To: field and the original message in the Body field. Click the Send button.
Note: After you click the Send button, you will receive a confirmation email message indicating that your message has been distributed to the list.
Division of Information Technology
118 Pray Harrold
Ypsilanti, MI 48197