Eastern Michigan University
Searching in EagleMail
The search tool in EagleMail is so powerful that you can search by specific words, dates, attachment type yet simple enough that you just need to know how to click and type a few words to narrow down your search.
EagleMail offers two ways to search:
- Search: This is the quickest way to locate what you are looking for in EagleMail simply by typing in the Search bar's Search box and clicking the Search button. You can even narrow down your search to a specific folder.
Advanced Search: This powerful search tool allows you to search by a wide range of criteria, including dates, times, size, attachment types, status, and much more.
Note: See Flagging Messages for Follow Up for an example of advanced searching and saving a search.
You can quickly right-click an email message and find all email messages associated with the sender.
Follow these directions to perform a right-click search:
- Right-click an email message that contains the email address of the sender, select Find Emails... and then either Received From Sender or Sent To Sender from the list.
Note: Received From Sender will search for any email messages in your account that were received from the sender of the selected email message. Sent To Sender will search for any email messages in your account that were sent by you to the sender of the selected email message.
Follow these directions to perform a search in a specific folder:
- From the Folder List, click to select the folder you want to search in.
- The path of the folder you selected is displayed in the Find field. Type From: followed by the name of the person that sent the email message you are looking for, appended to the end of the folder path.
Note: Type To: followed by the name of the person, when looking for an email message that you sent to someone.
- When you are finished, press the [Enter] key on the keyboard.
Follow these directions to perform an advanced search:
- From the Search bar, click the Advanced button.
- The Advanced Search area will be displayed. Click any buttons on the toolbar that relate to what you are looking for (a.k.a. search criteria).
- The respective search boxes will be displayed. Refine your search criteria using the options in the search boxes. The search will execute each time you add to your search criteria.
Note: As an example, locate all email messages in your mail file from a specific person, type their name in the From: field in the Basic Search box. Refine the search to look for email messages sent before a certain date using the Date search box. Further refine the search to search only in specific folders using the Folders search box.
- The search results are listed below your search criteria. To refresh the Search Results, click the Search button in the Search bar.
Note: To save your search criteria for repeat use, click the Save button on the Search bar and give it a name.
- When you are finished, click the Close button.
Division of Information Technology
118 Pray Harrold
Ypsilanti, MI 48197