Eastern Michigan University
EagleChat Instant Messaging (IM)
In its simplest form, instant messaging (IM) allows immediate communication between you and another person by transmitting a text message from one computer to another. Using public IM systems such as AIM, Google Talk, and Yahoo! to conduct business leaves university-owned data vulnerable to theft. We are utilizing EagleChat, a secure IM environment that is available only to those associated with EMU, to reduce these risks. You can access EagleChat IM through Pidgin for Windows computers and Adium for Mac computers.
This workshop presents the tools and techniques necessary to download, install, and set up Pidgin/Adium. Using instructor demonstrations, learners will have the opportunity to see how to download, install, and set up Pidgin/Adium. In addition, they will see how to search for, add, remove, and chat with buddies (contacts) . They will also see how to change a status, use a conference room, and transfer a file.
Any EMU faculty, staff, and student employees who want to communicate via a secure instant messaging system.
Pidgin (Windows OS)
- Step 1 - Download and install Pidgin. See Downloading and Installing Pidgin for more information.
- Step 2 - Add your EagleChat account to Pidgin. See Adding an EagleChat Account for more information.
- Step 3 - Add buddies to your Pidgin Buddy List. See Adding and Removing Buddies for more information.
- Step 4 - Start Chatting. See Chatting with a Buddy for more information.
Adium (Mac OS)
- Step 1 - Download and install Adium. See Downloading and Installing Adium for more information.
- Step 2 - Add your EagleChat account to Adium. See Adding an EagleChat Account for more information.
- Step 3 - Add contacts to your Adium Contact List. See Adding and Removing Contacts for more information.
- Step 4 - Start Chatting. See Chatting with a Contact for more information.
Division of Information Technology
118 Pray Harrold
Ypsilanti, MI 48197