Eastern Michigan University
Eastern Michigan University
Eastern Michigan University
Friday August 01, 2014

Library Hours: 7:30am - 5:00pm

Eastern Michigan University Library

Campus Buildings At a Glance

Choose a building:

 

Building name : Bruce T. Halle Library

Construction date : 1995

Dedication date : 1998

Name after : Bruce T. Halle, Founder of Discount Tire and EMU Alumnus (1965)

Building function : University Library

Cost(USD) : 41,000,000

Architect : Giffels, Hoyem, and Basso, Incorporated., Troy, MI

Builder :

Architecture style : Post Modern

Square footage : 270,000

Cubical content :

Prior name :

Date changed :

Old function :

Notes : The Halle Library is the third library building on campus following R. Clyde Ford Hall, and what is now the Porter College of Education Building. The earliest library on campus was a single room in the administration building, known as Old Main. Ford Hall was built as the first library building in 1929 and Porter was built in 1966 - 1967, to replace it. By the early 1990s, the old library had become over-crowded, and strong student activism in 1992 provided the impetus to begin a drive to build a new and larger library. The new library, built on the site of the old physical plant, was designed and built to state-of-the-art specifications and cost $41 million to complete. The dedication program described the Halle Library as a “cybrary” pointing to its close ties to modern information technology. The library is 270,000 square feet and contains close to a million volumes split between a browsing level and an automated retrieval system (ARC). The ARC was the second of its kind to be placed in a university library, but was part of a national trend towards condensed shelving and automatic access storage systems. Books that have not been checked out in the last five years are placed in the ARC. The building was designed to contain the latest technology including, 520 computer stations, 1,500 network connections, wireless internet, and a 70-seat teleconferencing room. Even the carillon, donated by E. Gregg Liechty has been brought into the 21st century through digitization. A computer produces the sounds of cast bells, but without the $1 million price tag and the stress of cold winters on fragile cast-iron bells. Instead, two keyboards, an auto bell console, and an organ console, are played and the songs saved on a soundcard for later replay. Four speakers in the tower can send the sound 1.5 miles on a misty day. The library is not solely a computerized wonder; more traditional collections include the University Archives, the Map Library, a traditional periodicals collection, and a browsing collection on the third floor. Other building amenities include a 100-seat auditorium, meeting rooms, and the Paradox Café, a small snack bar and study area. In the fall of 2010, the Paradox Cafe was renamed the Eagle Cafe. Bruce T. Halle enrolled at the Michigan State Normal College in 1948, and left in 1950 to enlist in the Marine Corps at the start of the Korean War. Mr. Halle returned to M.S.N.C. in 1953, and graduated in 1956 with a bachelor’s degree in business administration. Today, he is one of Eastern Michigan’s most distinguished graduates, as the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Discount Tire Company, Inc.