The University Library at Eastern Michigan University may enter into an agreement to lend periodicals to local content vendors (such as database publishers or microfilm vendors) for the purpose of filling in incomplete runs of their periodical holdings.
The following policies govern this service:
By using the Eastern Michigan University Library Vendor Card the vendor/borrower agrees to be bound by the following policies:
- EMU Library materials may be protected by copyright, trademark and/or other intellectual property laws, the violation of which may give rise to civil and/or criminal penalties. Vendors must agree to abide by all federal, state, and local laws regulating the use of such materials, and to release, defend, indemnify and hold harmless Eastern Michigan University, its Regents, employees, officers and agents from and against any losses, damages or costs, including reasonable attorney's fees, resulting from any claim, action, proceeding, suit or demand arising out of or related to the Vendor’s use of EMU Library materials.
- Compensation to the EMU Library for this service will be determined by the Dean of the University Library. Any compensation agreement must be signed by an authorized employee of the vendor and the Dean of the University Library.
- The vendor will be issued an Eastern Michigan University Library Vendor card. This card will be used only to borrow periodicals the vendor needs for scanning/ copying. This card may not be used for personal borrowing. It may not be used for borrowing of any other items (i.e. books, proceedings, dissertations, etc.) unless prior permission is obtained from the Access Services Librarian.
- Periodicals may be borrowed for one week with no renewals. The vendor is responsible for prompt return of materials. Periodicals are time sensitive and must be available for the Eastern Michigan University community. Vendors must return items within one business day upon request. Any exceptions to this policy must be approved in advance by both the Access Service and Collection Development librarians.
- The vendor is responsible for returning all materials in good condition. The vendor agrees to make full payment for all replacement costs and fees for materials lost or returned in poor condition.
- Failure to meet the above conditions will result in termination of borrowing privileges from the EMU Library.
Passed by University Library Faculty on November 16, 2006.