Alumni & Visitors
Finding Your Way
See Directions and Parking for information on getting to the EMU campus and the library, and Floor Plans to find your way around the library. Visitors to the EMU Library are welcome to browse and use the collection while in the library building. Visitors may also use the guest wireless network.
Library Cards for Alumni
- EMU alumni are eligible to receive a library courtesy card to checkout materials.
- You must pick up your library courtesy card in person. Applicants must be 18 years of age and must have a valid driver's license or Michigan ID card when applying for the card. Borrowing privileges are updated every six months (except for Friends of Eastern Michigan University Library cardholders).
- Alumni must present their EMU courtesy card and a picture ID (either a valid state ID or a driver's license) upon checking out materials.
- See loan periods and limits for more information.
Library Cards for Visitors
Visitors may be eligible for a library courtesy card - see requirements and more information about courtesy cards and other guest borrowing.
Access to Online Library Resources
- In the Library building:
- Most of the library's subscription online resources are available for public use from the express computers located in the first floor information commons.
- General computing applications such as word processing and unrestricted Internet access are not available to alumni or visitors.
- Printing is not available. Most documents can be saved to a flash drive, or in some cases sent via email.
- Remote access:
- The library's subscription online resources are not available to alumni from off-campus. Vendor contracts limit off-campus access to currently registered EMU students, faculty and staff.
- Esearch is available for anyone to use, from any location, though not all results will be available to non-EMU users.
- Mel.org provides access to selected research databases to all Michigan residents.
- JSTOR's Register & Read service provides limited free access to articles.
- Many of the library's research guides include selected free online resources. A few guides have research recommendations for alumni: