- McNair Scholars home
- First Generation Success Stories
- Low Income Designations
- Graduate Schools with Tuition Waivers and Fellowships for McNairs
Summer Research Opportunities (SROP)
- 4.2 Winter 2011
- 4.1 Fall 2010
- 3.2 Winter 2010
- 3.1 Fall 2009
- 2.2 Winter 2009
- 2.1 Fall 2008
- 1.1 Summer Research Institute 2008
- Dr. Heather Neff
- Cynthia Rodrigues
- Kimberly Freeman
McNair Program Contact Information
Eastern Michigan University
Wise Hall, 1st Floor
Ypsilanti, MI 48197
We have moved!
Come visit us at Wise Hall, 1st Floor
Application materials should be dropped off at our office in Wise Hall, 1st Floor between 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday.
McNair Scholars Program
Named for Ronald McNair, astronaut on the Challenger space shuttle, the program provides advising, faculty mentoring, research training and experience through a Summer Research Institute. Included is information about all aspects of applying for, and coping with, graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree. Activities are designed to inform and support undergraduates who intend to pursue a Ph.D. degree in any discipline.
Admissions applications are accepted on a rolling basis
An application is available at Wise Hall, 1st Floor. You need not be an Honors College member to participate in the program. You must supply information about financial aid status, GPA, and courses taken. Your application must include a brief essay describing your academic and personal accomplishments, academic, personal and career goals, and a statement of how your participation in the program will advance your goals. Two letters of recommendation are also required.
What are the eligibility criteria?
- US citizen or Permanent Resident
- Currently enrolled at EMU
- At least 30 credits completed by the time of application and 12 months prior to graduation
- Minimum of 3.0 GPA
- Low income* and first-generation college student OR underrepresented**
- Expect to graduate from EMU with bachelor’s degree
- Committed to Ph.D. degree
** African-American, Hispanic, or Native American/Alaskan
Benefits of Becoming a McNair Scholar:
- Eligible for research stipend
- Financial assistance to conduct your research
- Travel expenses for presenting research and for visiting prospective graduate schools
- Graduate tuition waiver at participating graduate schools across the country
- Work with a faculty research mentor
- Become part of a nationwide community of scholars
- Prepare high-quality, competitive graduate applications
- Personalized advising and academic action planning
- And more!!!