- Press release (Aug. 11, 2011)
- Notice of Inquiry (Aug. 8, 2011 pdf)
- Press release (Sept. 27, 2010)
- Internal Investigation: Report (pdf)
- Self-imposed penalties (pdf)
- Letter of Reprimand/ Suspension to Coach Gilbert (pdf)
- Letter of Reprimand/ Suspension to Coach Thrun (pdf)
- Letter of Reprimand to Coach Tate (pdf)
- Contact: Walter Kraft, 734.487.6895
Information on the NCAA violations in the Women's Basketball program
During the summer of 2010, the EMU Division of Intercollegiate Athletics was notified of alleged violations of NCAA rules in the Women's Basketball program. The nature of the alleged violations concerned practice times, voluntary workouts, coaches' participation in voluntary workouts, and prospective student athletes' (recruits) participation in open gym times. These allegations concerned the 2009-2010 basketball season.
The Office of Compliance, in collaboration with Legal Affairs and outside counsel, conducted a thorough internal investigation into the allegations and found them to have merit. The results of that investigation are available in the report posted on this website. Please note: Names and identifying details regarding EMU student athletes have been redacted from this report to protect their privacy.
Eastern Michigan University has reported these violations to the NCAA and has imposed penalties on the women's basketball program. The following actions were also taken:
- A letter of reprimand was issued to Head Coach Anne Marie Gilbert, who is also suspended for 30 days without pay and is required to undertake additional remedial steps.
- A letter of reprimand was issued to Assistant Coach Darin Thrun, who is also suspended indefinitely with pay and is required to undertake additional remedial steps.
- A letter of reprimand was issued to Assistant Coach LaTonya Tate, who is required to take additional remedial steps.
To accommodate concerns regarding disciplinary procedures, the reference to a letter of reprimand issued to another individual has been removed from this website.
For further information regarding the NCAA rules violations or EMU's responses and actions, please contact Vice President for Communications, Walter Kraft: email@example.com or 734.487.6895.