Health Care & Insurance

Health care in the United States can be expensive if you do not have the proper insurance coverage. That is why EMU requires all F and J international students to have proper insurance coverage in case of an accident or illness. Please read the following information:

  • Immunization - EMU strongly recommends that all students have up-to-date immunizations. For a list of recommended vaccinations and prices (if given at Snow Health Center), please see the University Health Services website

  • Costs - All international students enrolled in EMU classes (including summer semester) are automatically given the university's insurance policy. The plan costs $585 per semester (winter and summer semesters are combined to total $1170) for the 2014-2015 academic year and the charge will be billed to your student account. There is an additional $60 new student fee for all new students that will be applied to the first semester only.

  • Getting your card - See the guide for information on how to request your health insurance card.

  • Waiver - You are able to waive the university policy if you have an acceptable group insurance plan provided by an employer or government. Please find the waiver application at . The waiver is due September 12, 2014.

  • Embassy sponsored students must submit health insurance waivers during specific times. Click here for more details.

  • Post-Graduation Insurance Options - If you have EMU health insurance, your coverage will end after your final semester of class enrolment. You only have EMU insurance if you are registered for classes; if you are graduating, you will not automatically have continued coverage.

    If you are graduating in a winter term, but you have an I-20/DS-2019 with an end date after the winter term, you will be charged summer health insurance. If you would like to cancel the summer insurance because you are graduating, you need to obtain a new I-20 with a winter end date and give a copy to the Snow Insurance Office; you can obtain a new I-20 with a winter end date by submitting a complete Shorten Program Request found at

    If you are staying in the US after graduation, we highly recommend you obtain appropriate health insurance coverage - either by continuing the EMU insurance plan or purchasing another comparable plan outside EMU.

    If you would like to continue the EMU plan, you MUST request continuation of your plan BEFORE you graduate and your I-20/DS-2019 ends. The costs and length of coverage depend on whether you have employment in the United States. Please contact the Snow Health Center Insurance office for more information and to sign up for a continuation of your insurance plan. You can contact them at 734-487-3048 or by walk-in (2nd floor of Snow), Monday to Friday, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., or 1 to 4 p.m.

  • Resources - Insurance matters can be confusing and complicated. It is the student's responsibility to understand their insurance and how to use it, therefore there are various resources available on the right column to help guide students:
    1. To learn more about using insurance and the Snow Health Center, please read the "Insurance Information for International Students" at
    2. To better understand what is health insurance, types and guidelines, and a glossary of common insurance terms, please read the "Student Health Insurance Guide for International Students."
    3. If your medical need is outside regular Snow Health Center business hours (Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.), please see this list of urgent care clinics that accept the EMU insurance.

Resources forms




insurance link


Embassy sponsored link..