The department offers several scholarships annually. Scholarship amounts vary depending on the investment earnings for the money donated to scholarship funds. Undergraduate scholarships in recent years have been in the range of $650 to $1,000. The McWilliam's Scholarhship pays at least $3,400; the Barson Fellowship for MPA students is worth more than $10,000.
Applications for 2014-2015 scholarships, along with all supporting materials, are due in the department office by 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday, February 12, 2014. Funds may be available as early as July 1. If additional Study Abroad Scholarship funds are available for winter 2015, a second round of applications will be announced, with applications due October 1, 2014.
All scholarship applicants should have an EMU faculty member submit a letter of recommendation directly to the award committee on their behalf. Required essays must be typewritten and double spaced.
click here for application
John Barson Fellowship in Public Administration
Graduate students studying in the area of Public Administration in the Department of Political Science.
- The student must be admitted to the Master's of Public Administration program within the Department of Political Science.The recipient must have demonstrated high scholarship and leadership skills.Recipient must demonstrate a commitment to the field of public administration through undergraduate study, volunteer work, or life experience.Scholarship applicants specializing in Management of Public Healthcare services shall be given special consideration. However, all graduate students are eligible for consideration.
- Applicants are asked to submit a short letter of interest and to include a letter of recommendation from an EMU faculty member who is knowledgeable about their work or efforts.
2014-2015 recipient: Kayla Coleman
Learn more about John Barson
James H. Brickley Scholarship
- Minimum 3.0 GPA and enrolled in the undergraduate Public Administration program
- Please also include a letter of intent explaining how the award will be used towards a Public Administration activity or education enrichment.
2014-2015 recipient: Ashley Alele
Learn more about James H. Brickley
David Hortin Scholarship in Public Law
- Undergraduate student with a minimum GPA of 3.00.Interest in Public Law or Mock Trial
- Applicants are asked to submit an essay of NO MORE than two typed pages describing how this scholarship will help further their public law interests and public law co-curricular activities.
2014-2015 recipient: Steven Cole
Learn more about David Hortin
Richard Fierens Memorial Scholarship in Public Law
- Junior Pre-Law student Involved in Mock Trial or Political Science major
- Applicants must demonstrate dedication to leadership and service to fellow students.
2014-2015 recipient: Marla Bastien
Learn more about Richard Fierens
Robert O. McWilliams Memorial Scholarship
Undergraduate students in any major in the Department of Political Science.
- Overall GPA of at least 3.5.
- Preference given to student with financial need as determined by the EMU Office of Financial Aid.
2014-2015 recipient: Shantelle Robertson
Learn more about Robert O. McWilliams
Fr. Bernard J. O'Connor Scholarship in Civic Engagement
- Undergraduate student with a minimum GPA of 3.20. Successful completion of at least 18 credit hours at EMU at the time of the award. Open to students in all colleges and majors, with a verifiable record of excellence in civic engagement within the student's program of study, as well as in co-curricular and/or extra-curricular activities
- Applicants are asked to submit an essay of NO MORE than three (3) typed pages describing their civic engagement projects or initiatives, through coursework, co-curricular activities, and academic/professional plans.
- Applicants shall also include a short letter of recommendation from an EMU faculty member who is knowledgeable about their civic engagement work or efforts.
2014-2015 recipient: Trevis Harrold
Learn more about Fr. Bernard J. O'Connor
Joe Ohren Student Internship Fund
Students completing an unpaid internship for academic credit in either the MPA program or one of the undergraduate majors in the department. Award may be used in summer, fall, or winter semesters.
- Junior or senior status for undergraduates; at least 24 credits earned for MPA students.GPA of at least 3.5 or, for undergraduates, 3.5 in the last 30 credit hours.
- Applicants must have a letter of recommendation from a faculty member familiar with their work. They also must submit a personal statement of no more than two double-spaced pages outlining how the internship is integrated into their post-graduation career plans.
2014-2015 recipient: Eva Hernandez-Bedford
Political Science Study Abroad Scholarship
Undergraduates in any major in the Department of Political Science. Funds may be used for any program-related expenses.
- At least 30 credit hours at EMU with an overall GPA of at least 3.0.
- Evidence of acceptance in a study abroad program.
2014-2015 recipients: Jessica Bussell, Anjali Martin
Symposium Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF)
A $1,000 award to a student in any major in the department.
- Outstanding academic record.
- Student must be matched with a faculty mentor on a research project.
- Submit a description of the research project (1-2 double-spaced pages).
- Faculty mentor must write a letter of support.
- Student will present the research the following March at the Undergraduate Symposium
2014-2015 recipient: Andrew Kocis