News & Events
Office of the President
Dr. Susan Martin is the first female president in EMU's 165-year history.
Since arriving at Eastern, President Martin has placed a high priority on maintaining excellent, accessible, affordable education. Building a better future for Michigan will require the best efforts of everyone at Eastern to produce tomorrow's leaders, teachers, businesspeople, health professionals, problem-solvers and entrepreneurs.
Just a few of the highlights of President Martin's administration to date:
- Groundbreaking, construction and opening of the $90 million Science Complex, the largest capital project in EMU's history
- Capital outlay funds and inception of the $42 million renovation of Pray-Harrold, the University's largest classroom building
- Kickoff and near completion of the $50 million "Invest. Inspire." comprehensive fundraising campaign.
- The 0-0-0 initiative: holding tuition and fees, room and board to a 0% increase for academic year 2010-2011
- Strong enrollment growth for three straight years
- Improvements in student academic performance through various student success initiatives, including academic support services such as the Holman Success Center
- Improvements in faculty development support through the Bruce K. Nelson Faculty Development Center.
- Opening of the Jean Noble Parsons Center for the Study of Art and Science
- Construction and opening of the new Department of Public Safety headquarters
- A variety of "green" initiatives, resulting in a savings of more than $4 million, or 30% in annual energy expenses
- Hiring of new executive leaders in academic affairs, communications, legal affairs, information technology, human resources, and government and community relations
- Leadership in strategic planning process