Ypsilanti, MI USA 48197
Society for Human Resource Management
SHRM Mentoring Program
Eastern Michigan University's student chapter of SHRM offers
a Mentoring Program in association with both our sponsoring
chapter, the Human Resource Association of Greater Detroit and
the Greater Ann Arbor Society for Human Resource Management.
The program matches students interested in learning more about
human resources with local professionals who have volunteered
to provide guidance.
What are the Benefits of a Mentor Program?
A successful mentor program provides opportunities for students
What Kind of Learning Activities Might Be Available Through My Mentor?
- Explore the world of work through interaction with professionals
in the HR career of their choice.
- Gain an experienced HR practitioner's perspective on applying textbook concepts to real-life situations.
- Familiarize themselves with corporate protocol.
- Identify long-term professional development needs.
- Realize the value of networking.
- Develop a meaningful professional relationship over a specified period of time
How Do I Enroll?
- Lunch with mentor, protege, and several other HR professionals to discuss everyday challenges practitioners encounter in their work.
- Protege attends a company training program with mentor.
- Mentor and protege discuss proper business and telephone etiquette and corporate protocol.
- Protege attends a company staff meeting.
- Mentor and protege attend a professional SHRM chapter meeting together. Mentor introduces Protege to other HR professionals.
- Protege accompanies mentor to other professional meetings. Mentor discusses common employee grievances and issues such as sexual harassment and substance abuse and explains how they are handled.
- Protege observes the development of a special project such as a wellness program or health fair.
- Mentor review protege's resume and offers suggestions for improvement.
- Protege observes a day of recruiting.
Students interested in participating in this new program can
pick up an application at any of the upcoming student SHRM meetings
or click here to view and print the application.
Who Can I Contact If I Have Questions?
Fraya Wagner-Marsh (SHRM Chapter Co-Faculty Advisor) at 734-487-3240 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
300 West Michigan Avenue
466 Gary Owen Building
Ypsilanti, Michigan 48197
Phone: 734 487 3240