Eastern Michigan University
Environmental Health & Safety
- For assistance call 734.487.0799
Explosion In Your Building
- Immediately take cover under tables, desks or other such objects.
- If directed to do so by EMU Public Safety, activate the building alarm system.
- After the effects of the explosion have subsided, evacuate the building and call EMU Public Safety at 734.487.1222 or call 911. Give your name, location, and a description of the event.
- Assist injured and persons with disabilities with evacuation, if possible.
- Exit via the stairways. DO NOT USE ELEVATORS.
- Once outside, move to an area at least 300 feet away from the affected building.
- Keep roadways and walkways clear for emergency response personnel and vehicles.
- Await further instructions from EMU Public Safety or other identified first responders.
- DO NOT ATTEMPT TO GO BACK INTO THE BUILDING.
If You Are Trapped In Debris
- If possible, use a flashlight to signal your location to rescuers.
- Avoid unnecessary movement so that you don't kick up dust.
- Cover your nose and mouth with anything you have on hand. (Dense-weave cotton material can act as a good filter. Try to breathe through the material.)
- Tap on a pipe or wall so that rescuers can hear where you are.
- If possible, use a whistle to signal rescuers.
- Shout only as a last resort. Shouting can cause a person to inhale dangerous amounts of dust.
Explosion At A Nearby Building / Campus Vicinity
- EMU Public Safety will evaluate the need for immediate evacuation and communicate directions to the campus community.
- If advised to evacuate, commence evacuation according to procedures in the Building Emergency Plan.
Following An Explosion
- Be aware of structural damage.
- When evacuating, stay clear of glass and windows.
- Do not touch, handle r move any suspicious objects.
- Assist others, especially the injured and handicapped when evacuating the building.