Eastern Michigan University
Environmental Health & Safety
Suspicious Mail or Package
The following guidelines are intended to help identify suspicious letters or parcels and to provide procedures to follow in the event of receiving suspicious mail.
If you receive a suspicious letter or package:
1. Do not try to open the package.
2. If there is spilled material, do not try to clean it up and do not smell, touch or taste the material.
3. Do not shake or bump the package or letter.
4. Calmly alert others in the immediate area and leave the area, closing the door behind you.
5. Wash hands and exposed skin vigorously with soap and flowing water for at least 20 seconds. Antibacterial soaps that do not require water are not effective for removing anthrax or other threatening materials.
6. Call EMU Public Safety at 734.487.1222 or 911.
7. Wait for Public Safety to respond. Do not leave the building unless instructed to do so by EMU Public Safety personnel.