Eastern Michigan University
Environmental Health & Safety
1. Remain calm, as most power failures are only momentary outages.
2. Visually determine if the power outage is restricted to a small area, such as a room or floor, or to the building. Report the power outage immediately to Physical Plant at 734.487.3380.
3. Turn off all electrical equipment and appliances (leave lights on).
4. Staff in labs, machine shops and/or offices should turn off and/or secure all experiments, activities, or equipment that may present a danger if electrical power is off or if a danger may be created by the return of power at a later time.
5. If the building is dark, remain in a safe location until emergency lighting is available to allow you to safely move in the area. Emergency lighting will provide sufficient lighting, but only for a period of about 30 minutes, to safely evacuate a building, but it may not be sufficient to continue normal operations.
6. Do not try to correct the problem or turn any equipment back on until authorized.
7. Check elevators, washrooms, stairways or dark rooms for stranded individuals.
8. Buildings should be evacuated when no emergency lighting is available or for prolonged power outages. Once evacuated, the building exterior doors should be locked.
Steam can cause severe burns and displace oxygen and the moisture created by the steam can set off fire alarms. Only professional staff should manage a steam leak.
1. If a steam leak is detected, evacuate and keep people out of the area.
2. Call EMU Public Safety at 734.487.1222 to report the problem and location.
3. If it is safe to do so, close the door to isolate the area.
4. Moisture sensitive equipment should be moved or protected only if it can be done safely.
Natural Gas Leak
1. In its pure state, natural gas is odorless and colorless. Gas suppliers add a harmless chemical called mercaptan to the gas to help us smell a leak. The odor smells like a rotten egg or a skunk. If you suspect a natural gas leak:
2. Keep people out of the area and evacuate the area if necessary, especially if there is a chance of an explosion. Do not use the fire alarm. Use room-to-room verbal communication to notify others of a leak.
3. Report any suspected leaks to Physical Plant at 734.487.3380 between 7am-5pm, or to EMU Public Safety at 734.487.1222 or 911.
4. Never light a match or lighter.
5. Leave electrical devices alone. DO NOT SWITCH ON OR OFF LIGHTS OR ANY ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT.
6. DO NOT USE ELEVATORS.