What is a course reference number (CRN)?

A course reference number (CRN) is a five digit number that identifies each course section. The CRN is unique to each section and changes every semester.  When registering, make sure that you are using the correct CRN.  If you enter an incorrect CRN you will register for an incorrect class.

What effect does a registration or transcript hold have?

A registration hold prevents you from registering, adding or dropping/withdrawing classes; however students may contact our office to drop/withdraw a course at any time, regardless of their hold.  A transcript hold prevents you from getting an official transcript at the Registrar's office.   All financial holds must be cleared by the issuing office prior to registration. Students may check their holds by logging into my.emich and going to the "Registration Main Menu".

What is the maximum number of credit hours I can register for each term?

During fall, winter, and summer semesters, the recommended academic course load is 15 to 18 credit hours. Students may, however, take up to 19 hours. First semester freshman and students on academic probation may not take more than the recommended load without permission from the University Advising and Career Development Center, 200 McKenny Hall, 734.487.2170. Qualified continuing students considering taking over 19 credit hours should consult carefully with an academic adviser before taking an overload. Students who wish to add classes in excess of the maximum number permitted each term should contact the Office of Records & Registration.


Graduate Students who wish to add classes in excess of the maximum number permitted each term must get approval from the graduate school. To download the "Petition for Modification or Waiver of the Graduate School Academic and Administrative Policies Application Form" from the Graduate School home page click on Graduate Students Services, then click on "What Do I Do Next ?".

What is a linked section?

Linked sections are made up of two or three corresponding course sections that must be taken together. They most often include a lecture & related lab or recitation section. 

Examples of departments that offer linked sections are:

  • Biology
  • Chemistry
  • Computer Science
  • Geography
  • Geology
  • Music
  • Physics
What is a department permission required course/section?

Certain course sections require permission from the department. Students may not register for these courses without authorization from the appropriate academic department. Once you have been issued permission online by the department, you must login to your my.emich account and register for the course.

Courses/Sections which require departmental permission are identified in the class schedule book with a "DP" code. Use the web-registration system to view any permissions entered on the system for you by clicking the "Registration Status link " on the "Registration Main Menu".

What do I do if I don't meet a course prerequisite?

Students are not permitted to register for a course without meeting the prerequisite(s).

  • Any exception to the course prerequisite(s), as listed in the University Catalog, must be entered on the system by the academic department prior to registration.
  • Post-Baccalaureate students who did not complete their Bachelor’s degree at EMU do not have their undergraduate courswork recorded on our system. Permission from the academic department will be required, prior to registration, for any course that requires an undergraduate course prerequisite.
  • Transfer credit is used by the registration system when determining whether or not course prerequisites have been met. Only courses that have transferred in with direct EMU course equivalencies (e.g. ENGL 121), however, are considered to fulfill a course prerequisite.
  • Course waivers/substitutions are not recorded on our registration system; therefore, permission must be entered on the system by the academic department for any coures requiring a prerequisite course that has been waived.
What do I do if a course I want is closed?

Override Policies vary with each academic department. Contact the appropriate department for override information/authorization. Once you are issued authorization online by the department, you must login to your my.emich account and register for the course.

Use the web-registration system to view any permissions entered on the system for you by clicking the "Registration Status " link on the " Registration Main Menu". Students can also choose to waitlist for a closed course.

How do I audit a course?

Students who are already registered for a course may choose to audit the course. Courses may be audited (no credit or grade is given) subject to the approval of the head of the department offering the course. Tuition and fees apply the same as if credit is given. Forms may be obtained from the the Office of Records and Registration.

How do I take a course with a pass-fail grading option?
Undergraduate Students:

A pass-fail grading option is available to any regularly enrolled junior or senior in good standing. A maximum of six pass-fail courses may be applied toward graduation and are restricted to free elective courses only. General education classes, and those required for a major or minor, may not be taken under the pass-fail option. No graduate courses may be elected for pass-fail credit. A student who wishes to elect this option should fill out a pass-fail form and submit it to the University Advising and Career Development Center, 200 McKenny Hall.

Graduate Students:

A pass-fail grading option is available to graduate students when enrolling in undergraduate courses for enrichment that will not apply to a graduate program of study. Undergraduate curriculum deficiency requirements noted on a program of study may not be completed with a pass grade, unless approved by the graduate advisor.

No graduate courses may be elected for pass-fail credit. A student who wishes to elect this option should fill out a Pass-Fail Application Form and submit it to the Graduate School, Starkweather Hall. The grade of pass, designated as a grade of "S" (Satisfactory) on the student record, shall be issued to students earning a grade of "D-" or better. For undergraduate students, a grade of" S" counts as credit toward graduation. A grade of "U" (Unsatisfactory) shall be issued to students earning a grade of "F". Neither a pass nor a fail grade shall be used in any way toward the calculation of the grade point average.

How do I receive my final grades for a term?

Official grades are available online through your my.emich account.

Can I repeat a course?

Undergraduate Students: Repeating courses for which the student is currently eligible can be elected, regardless of the grade received. The following conditions apply:

  1. No course may be taken more than three times, except by permission of the head of the department in which the course is offered.
  2. No student may repeat more than 10 different courses in the process of completing a baccalaureate degree, except by permission of the Academic Standards Committee. Contact is made through the Academic Advising Center.
  3. All grades earned by a student will be retained on the student's permanent record and repeats will be indicated.
  4. Only the grade received the last time the course is taken will be used in compiling graduation credits and in determining the cumulative grade point average.
  5. A course failed at Eastern Michigan University may not be repeated at another accredited college or university to satisfy Eastern Michigan University requirements without prior written approval of the Registrar.

Graduate Students: In the case of repeated courses, the second grade replaces the first in the computation of the student's GPA. The first grade remains on the record, however. A course may be repeated only once and only if a grade less than B was received.

What is an incomplete (I) grade?

An incomplete (I) grade is awarded only when a student has completed the majority of the work of a course and the student’s work has been of acceptable quality (C or better for undergraduate students, B or better for graduate students), but the required amount of work has not been completed due to illness, necessary absence or other satisfactory reasons. It is never applied to poor work or willful non-attendance of class. The student must inform the instructor of the reason for the requested incomplete, and the instructor may at his or her discretion agree to the request.

If you receive a grade of incomplete (I) in a course, you should not re-register for the course. An I grade must be replaced by a grade within one calendar year from the end of the semester or session in which the grade was given. The initiative for removal of an incomplete rests with the student. If not converted by the end of the one-year period, the incomplete will remain as a permanent part of the student’s record. Incomplete grades received in thesis-type courses are not governed by these regulations.

How do I obtain a Directory Exclusion?

Students who do not want to be included in the annual EMU Student Directory or the online directory should complete a Directory Exclusion form and return it to The Records and Registration Office, 303 Pierce Hall. The forms must be turned in by September 15 to be excluded from that academic year's printed directory and all subsequent directories.

How do I calculate my GPA?

Eastern Michigan University uses a 4.0 scale for GPA calculations. To calculate your GPA, list your courses (whether all or just those in a major or minor) and the credits and grade for each course. Use the chart found in the link below to determine the grade points for each course (this is determined by multiplying the grade points by the number of credits for the course). Add up all of the grade points. Divide this total by the total number of credit hours included. The result will be your grade point average, using the scale in our current university computer system. A complete GPA calculation guide is available for additional instructions. You may also visit the UACDC website at www.emich.edu/uacdc/forms_library/gpacalc.php for an online GPA calculator.

How do I file a Grade Grievance?

A grade grievance can be filed if a student disputes a grade given by their instructor in a course. There are up to three steps in this process, beginning with Step I: The student must contact the instructor within ten (10) working days after the start of the following semester. If the situation is not resolved to the student's satisfaction after this first step, additional steps and directions may be followed according to the Grade Grievance Procedure guide

What is the EMU grade key?

To view a copy of the most current, up-to-date grade key for EMU, please click here.

What is a cumulative completion rate (CCR) and how is it calculated?

The CCR is the calculation of a student's cumulative completion rate using their EMU earned hours divided by their attempted hours. This calculation is now being used in part to determine undergraduate standing via the new Academic Standing Policy. Click here for more FAQ information regarding CCR. Please contact the UACDC office in 200 McKenny or at 734.487.2170 with questions regarding this new policy.

What courses do I need to take to complete my Undergraduate General Education requirements?

Students may find a listing of approved General Education courses for Fall 2007 requirements here.

How do I find textbook information for my courses?

Textbook information may be found at the time of registration through your my.emich account under the 'LookUp Text Books' link in the 'Registration' menu.