2013-14 Academic Year Housing Application
The Residence Life Office welcomes all newly admitted first year, transfer, and former residence hall students to consider living on campus for the coming 2013-14 academic school year.
Residence hall living offers convenience to classes, an environment conducive to meeting other students and an opportunity to get involved.
The university requires that all new incoming freshmen live on campus unless they are commuting from their parents permanent home.
Many of the halls are already filled for the fall. We may not be able to honor your request for a particular hall or room type if there is no space available when your contract comes up for assignment.
- Review the residence
and dining plan options
- Complete the on-line application.
- A $200 prepayment must be made by all new freshmen, transfer and former residence hall students who did not live on campus during the Winter 2013 semester (including all students who expect to receive financial aid) when submitting the contract.
- If making payment with cash, check, or money order, print a copy of the contract and take or send together with payment to the Cashier’s Office located in 201 Pierce Hall, Ypsilanti, MI 48197.
- On-line payment can be made using MasterCard, DiscoverCard, or American Express. The University does not accept Visa. Please note that a service fee will be added to your card when using a credit card.
- The Residence Life Office will continue to accept contracts as long as space is available. Space is limited and many of the halls are already filled for the fall.
- The date the contract and the $200 prepayment is received establishes the order in which an assignment is made.
- The information that you provide helps us to place you into a hall that most closely meets your preferences based on the availability of space at the time your contract and payment is received.
- When selecting a preferred hall on the contract, realize that it is only a request. You are not guaranteed that you will receive that choicel. Many of our halls are already filled so be sure to list a different option as your second and third choices. We will make every attempt to get you into one of your three choices.
- It is not always possible to honor all the requests that a student makes on the contract.
- No guarantees can be made in terms of room type, hall, or roommate preference.
- The Residence Life Office makes every effort to accommodate requests for a specific roommate provided that space is available to honor the request. Both students absolutely MUST request each other on the contract or a placement together will not be made.
- Students who request each other must submit their contract and $200 prepayment at the same time. Contracts and payments not submitted at the same time will most likely not be able to be placed together.
- Space is not held for a requested roommate if the students do not submit a contract and prepayment at the same time.
- Students will be emailed their hall assignment and roommate information in early August to their EMU email account.
- If it becomes necessary to cancel prior to moving in, the request must be made in writing to the Residence Life Office at email@example.com using your EMU email account. Cancellation requests sent from another email account will not be accepted. Using your EMU email validates your identity and helps reduce the risk of fraudulent requests.
- Cancellations must be received prior to the dates listed below to be eligible for a credit to the student account:
- Before July 1, 2013: $100 credit
- After July 1, 2013: No credit given
- Contracts submitted after May 1 are subject to the same schedule as above.
- Contracts submitted after July 1 would receive no credit if cancellation were to occur.
- Students, who plan to use financial aid funds to cover college expenses, must complete a FAFSA form.
- The FAFSA needs to be submitted as soon as possible or at the very least well before the start of the fall semester to ensure that funds are available prior to classes beginning.
- The Housing & Dining Services Contract commitment is for the combined Fall and Winter semesters.
- Students are responsible for ensuring that they have enough funds to cover the costs of room and board for the full academic year prior to moving in.
- Once a student moves into their room in the fall, a release from the contract will not be given to move off campus, to a sorority/fraternity house, or to commute from home for the duration of the academic year.
- An enrolled student who moves out of the hall anytime during the contract period remains financially obligated for the full room and board costs for the remainder of the academic year.
Before You Proceed!!
Completing the application requires that a $200 prepayment be made when you are finished.
Do not complete until such time that you are certain you will be living on campus next fall and are prepared to make the payment (this includes students who will be receiving financial aid).