To provide support for the needs of current and incoming LGBTQ students and others with specific needs, gender-inclusive housing is available for all undergraduate and graduate students in a variety of housing types across campus. This option meets the needs of all of our residents, inclusive of all sexes, genders, gender identities and expressions. It means that for residents, women, men, and people of all gender identities and expressions can live together.
In meeting the needs of our residents, Housing & Residence Life will recognize and respect the gender identity the student has established. Staff will not ask for any more information than is required to meet the student’s housing needs, and all disclosed information will be kept strictly confidential.
We strongly encourage potential and current residents to contact us early in the housing application process so that we may offer the widest range of possible housing options. You also have the option to receive more information during the housing application process. Please see the “Gender-Inclusive Housing” section within the application for further details. Requests for gender-inclusive housing will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and assignments will be made contingent upon availability.
We also recommend that you review our SPECTRUM community, as this is a great space for LGBTQ+ students.
For further information, please contact Evelynn Benn at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Rules for Gender-Inclusive Housing:
- Only students participating in one of the housing application processes may request gender-inclusive housing.
- Students participating in Room Selection may not select gender-inclusive housing; assignment will be made by the Assignments Coordinator.
- Gender-inclusive housing is not available in Wise Hall or the Village.
- Once a room or suite is designated as gender-inclusive, it will remain gender-inclusive for the duration of the academic year. In the event of a vacancy, the housing office will fill the vacancy first with an individual who consents to living in a gender-inclusive space, and then using the normal housing process of same-gender roommate matching.
- Students will not be automatically placed in a gender-inclusive room or suite. They must elect to be assigned to a gender-inclusive room or suite.
- EMU Housing & Residence Life encourages students to discuss this program with their parents/guardians before selecting gender-inclusive housing. All students who have reached the legal age of 18 are able to sign their own housing contracts. As a general rule, students are not released from signed housing contracts due to changes in preferences.
- This housing option is not intended—and in fact is highly discouraged—for romantic couples of any sexual orientation.