Eastern Michigan University
University Advising and Career Development Center
Originating a Grad School Rehire EPAF
An EPAF is used to process personnel actions (i.e., hire, rehire, termination, and job changes) for an employee.
Follow these directions to originate a GA Rehire EPAF:
Person Selection Page
- From the Electronic Personnel Action Form menu, click New EPAF link.
- The New EPAF Person Selection page is displayed. Type the employee's EID in the ID field and press the [Tab] key on the keyboard.
Note: Alternately, click the Search button to search for them by name.
- If the employee exists in Banner, their name is displayed. Using the Payroll Calendar as reference, type the Pay Period Begin date for the pay period the EPAF takes effect (e.g., 08/19/2012), in the Query Date field.
- Click the Approval Category field pull-down arrow and select the desired personnel action from the list.
Note: For example, if you are creating for a Graduate School hire - select GAHIR: Grad School Hire, GAHIR, for a Graduate School rehire - select GARHR: Grad School Rehire, GARHR, and for a Graduate School appointment change - select GAAPT: Grad School Appointment Change, GAAPT. See the Glossary of EPAF Codes & Fields for a list of personnel actions.
- Click the GO button.
Job Selection Page
- The New EPAF Job Selection page is displayed. Click the All Jobs button.
- A list of terminated jobs for the student employee is displayed. Click the Select button for the job which you are rehiring the student.
- Click the Go button.
- Type your Org number in the Home Organization field.
Note: Contact your budget manager for more information.
- Verify the Contract Type field displays Primary.
Note: An employee may have only one primary job, but can have multiple secondary jobs. If the employee already has a primary job, and error message will be displayed when you attempt to save and submit the EPAF. If this occurs, click the Contract Type pull-down arrow, select Secondary from the list, then reattempt to save and submit the EPAF.
- If necessary, type the date the appointment begins (i.e., the actual date you want the action to take effect) in the Personnel Date field.
Note: This date is used by the Payroll department to determine if back-pay is necessary. By default, this is the start date for the semester. See the Academic Calendar for more information.
- If necessary, type the desired appointment percent in the Appointment Percent field.
Note: The appointment percentage defaults to 100. If the percent symbol (%) is typed in this field, an error message will be displayed when you attempt to save and submit the EPAF. For Graduate Assistants and Doctoral Fellows, the percentage will either be 50, 75, or 100. For Teaching Assistants, the percentage will always be 50.
- Verify the Job Change Reason field displays RHR, Rehire.
- Click the Salary Group field pull-down arrow and select the salary group (e.g., 2013, (GS) - Graduate Assistant) that displays the fiscal year you are hiring the student followed by (GS) - Graduate Assistant from the list.
Note: Regardless of the wording, selecting [Fiscal Year], (GS) - Graduate Assistant in the Salary Group field applies to all Graduate School hires, including Graduate Assistants, Teaching Assistants, and Doctoral Fellows.
- Type the total stipend amount for employment (e.g., 7500) in the Annual Salary field.
Note: If a dollar sign ($) or comma (,) is typed in this field, an error message will be displayed when you attempt to save and submit the EPAF. See the Graduate School's Stipend Calculation Job Aid for more information.
FOAP (Fund, Org, Account, and Program codes) Section
- Verify the FOAP information is correct.
Note: If the FOAP information is incorrect, it is likely that the position number selected on the Job Selection page is incorrect. See the Finding and Hiring Graduate Student Employees page to locate the correct position number based on the desired FOAP. If the position is funded by more than one source, additional FOAPs can be added and the percent changed to reflect the percentage of funding from each source. If a portion of the funding is covered by a grant, you will need to create a second EPAF using the GAHIR: Grad School Hire Grant, GAHIR or the GARHRG: Grad School Rehire Grant, GARHRG approval category. See the Person Selection Page for more information.
- Using the Payroll Calendar as reference, type the Pay Period Begin date for the pay period the EPAF takes effect (e.g., 08/19/2012), in the Effective Date field.
- Click the Earnings pull-down arrow and select 480, GA from the list.
Note: Select 482, FWS for Federal Work Study positions or 484, GA_Miscellaneous for Minority GA positions. These earnings types are arranged through the Graduate School.
- Type 1 in the Hours or Units Per Pay field.
Note: If you are originating a Grad School Appointment Change EPAF, verify there is a 1 in the Hours or Units Per Pay field.
- Type the per pay stipend amount in the Special Rate field.
Note: The Special Rate is the stipend amount divided by the number of pay periods. If a dollar sign ($) or comma (,) is typed in this field, an error message will be displayed when you attempt to save and submit the EPAF. See the Graduate School's Stipend Calculation Job Aid for more information. If you are originating a Grad School Appointment Change EPAF, the previous rate may already be displayed in the field.
End of Job Assignment Section
- Verify the Jobs Effective and Personnel dates are correct.
Note: The Jobs Effective Date is the last day of the pay period this action should take effect. By default, this is Pay Period End Date for the last week of the Winter semester. See the Payroll Calendar for more information. The Personnel Date is the actual date you want the termination to take effect. By default, this date is the last day of the Winter semester. See the Academic Calendar for more information.
Routing Queue Section
- Verify the routing queue information is correct.
Note: The routing queue populates based on your default routing queues. See Setting Up Default Routing Queues for more information.
Save & Submit
- Click the Save button.
- If there are no errors, a Your change was saved successfully message is displayed and the transaction status is changed to Waiting. Click the Submit button.
Note: Errors (not warnings) must be corrected before an EPAF can be successfully saved and submitted.
- If there are no errors, a The transaction has been successfully submitted message is displayed and the transaction status is changed to Pending.
- When you are finished, click the Return to EPAF Menu link at the bottom of the page.
- Note: The Employee Personnel Action Form menu is displayed.