Eastern Michigan University
University Advising and Career Development Center
Second Bachelor Degree Program
Students who wish to obtain a second bachelor's degree should apply as a second bachelor candidate through the Office of Admissions, 401 Pierce Hall. The office requires an application, a non-refundable application fee and official transcripts from each college, university or other post-secondary school attended. Students must have a bachelor degree from an accredited University.
After the admission process is complete, the prospective candidate must make an appointment with the advisor for second bachelor degree program in the University Advising & Career Development Center, 200 McKenny Hall (734.487.5497) for evaluation of transcripts and development of a program of study.
- All second bachelor degree candidates must complete a minimum of 30 new credit hours through Eastern Michigan University.
- All candidates must satisfy all University, department and program requirements for the new degree.
- Course work taken prior to entering a second bachelor degree program may be applied, provided the grade earned was "C" or above.
- Candidates cannot do a second bachelor degree in the same subject area as the first degree.
- Only EMU undergraduate alumni can receive additional majors or minors to be posted to their first degree.
- Candidates whose prior undergraduate GPA was less than 2.5, and who wish to seek Teacher Certification, must declare a non-teaching major and minor and graduate from the second bachelor's program before student teaching.
- Students whose prior undergraduate GPA was 2.5 and above who wish to enter the Teaching Certification Program, need to contact the Teacher Certification Office in the College of Education (734.487.2075). The second bachelor degree program does not process certification programs of study.
Each program is individually designed and must be approved by appropriate faculty advisors as well as the second bachelor advisor.
Specific questions addressing how many credit hours may be needed or how long it may take to complete a Second Bachelor's Degree cannot be answered prior to making and keeping an appointment with the second bachelor's advisor. Transcripts from all institutions attended will be assessed during the appointment.
Programs Not Available Through Second Bachelor's:
- Occupational Therapy & Special Education majors apply through Graduate Admissions in 401 Pierce Hall, 734.487.3060, or by e-mail.
- Teacher Certification with a first degree GPA of 2.5 or better must contact Provisional Certification in the College of Education, Office of Academic Services, 206 Porter, 734.487.0275.
- Non-Degree status – Only taking a few courses. Those interested in this form of study should contact, Graduate Admission in 401 Pierce Hall, 734.487.3060, or by e-mail.
- Second Endorsements
- Individualized Studies Program (ISP)
How to Become a Second Bachelor's Student:
Specific questions addressing how many credit hours may be needed or how long it may take to complete a Second Bachelor's Degree cannot be answered prior to making and keeping an appointment with the Second Bachelor's Coordinator. Transcripts from all institutions attended will be assessed during the appointment.
Popular Available Program Links:
- Dietetics on-line program
- Nursing: Before making an appointment with our office, you must be admitted to Eastern Michigan University as a second bachelor's student and must attend a group advising session. You may find the days, times, and location for the group advising sessions on the Nursing web site.