Eastern Michigan University
University Advising and Career Development Center
Is Graduate School right for me?
It is often difficult to decide whether or not to pursue a graduate degree. There are many things to consider, and some students are not sure what questions to ask. Many students will consider a graduate education because they want to learn more about a particular field, or pursue a career that requires an advanced degree. A few questions to ask include:
- What do you plan to do with this degree?
- What made you decide to consider grad school?
- How have you prepared for grad school?
- Are you confident enough in your decision to make the necessary commitment in time, effort, and resources?
- Will this advanced degree lead you to where you want to be professionally or personally?
- How will attending graduate school affect your family or relationships?
- How will you finance Graduate School studies?
- Do the programs you are considering require or recommend related experience before entry?
- When should you attend?
- What program should you pursue?
As you are working through your decision consider making an individual appointment with a Career Coach
To schedule an appointment, please call 734.487.0400.
The Graduate School at Eastern Michigan University provides leadership, oversight, and service for all graduate programs at the university. These programs include certificate and degree programs at the master's, master of fine arts, specialist, and doctoral levels. For more information about the available programs and requirements visit the Graduate School website.