- UHS Home
- Affordable Care Act
- Immigration Physicals
- Travel Health
- Illnesses of Interest
- Women's Clinic
- STD Screening
- CPR / First Aid
- Health Insurance
- Web Links
Escherichia Coli General Information
What is Escherichia coli?
Escherichia coli (abbreviated as E. coli) are a large group of bacteria.
Although most strains of E. coli are harmless, others can make you sick. Some
kinds of E. coli can cause diarrhea, while others cause urinary tract
infections, respiratory illness and pneumonia, and other illnesses. Still
other kinds of E. coli are used as markers for water contamination—so you might
hear about E. coli being found in drinking water, which are not themselves
harmful, but indicate the water is contaminated. It does get a bit
confusing—even to microbiologists.
Some kinds of E. coli cause disease by making a toxin called Shiga toxin. The bacteria that make these toxins are called “Shiga toxin-producing” E. coli, or STEC for short.
What are the symptoms of STEC infections?
The symptoms of STEC infections vary for each person but often include severe stomach cramps, diarrhea (often bloody), and vomiting. If there is fever, it usually is not very high (less than 101˚F/less than 38.5˚C). Most people get better within 5–7 days. Some infections are very mild, but others are severe or even life-threatening.
How soon do symptoms appear after exposure?
The time between ingesting the STEC bacteria and feeling sick is called the “incubation period.” The incubation period is usually 3-4 days after the exposure, but may be as short as 1 day or as long as 10 days. The symptoms often begin slowly with mild belly pain or non-bloody diarrhea that worsens over several days.
How are these infections spread?
Infections start when you swallow STEC—in other words, when you get tiny (usually invisible) amounts of human or animal feces in your mouth. Unfortunately, this happens more often than we would like to think about. Exposures that result in illness include consumption of contaminated food, consumption of unpasteurized (raw) milk, consumption of water that has not been disinfected, contact with cattle, or contact with the feces of infected people. Some foods are considered to carry such a high risk of infection with E. coli O157 or another germ that health officials recommend that people avoid them completely. These foods include unpasteurized (raw) milk, unpasteurized apple cider, and soft cheeses made from raw milk. Sometimes the contact is pretty obvious (working with cows at a dairy or changing diapers, for example), but sometimes it is not (like eating an undercooked hamburger or a contaminated piece of lettuce). People have gotten infected by swallowing lake water while swimming, touching the environment in petting zoos and other animal exhibits, and by eating food prepared by people who did not wash their hands well after using the toilet. Almost everyone has some risk of infection.
How long can an infected person carry STEC?
STEC typically disappear from the feces by the time the illness is resolved, but may be shed for several weeks, even after symptoms go away.
How can STEC infections be prevented?
- WASH YOUR HANDS thoroughly after using the bathroom or changing diapers and before preparing or eating food. WASH YOUR HANDS after contact with animals or their environments (at farms, petting zoos, fairs, even your own backyard).
- COOK meats thoroughly. Ground beef and meat that has been needle-tenderized should be cooked to a temperature of at least 160°F/70˚C. It’s best to use a thermometer, as color is not a very reliable indicator of “doneness”.
- AVOID raw milk, unpasteurized dairy products, and unpasteurized juices (like fresh apple cider).
- AVOID swallowing water when swimming or playing in lakes, ponds, streams, swimming pools, and backyard “kiddie” pools.
- PREVENT cross contamination in food preparation areas by thoroughly washing hands, counters, cutting boards, and utensils after they touch raw meat.
For more information, contact us.
For more information about E. Coli, check the following websites:
This fact sheet is for information only and is not meant to be used for self-diagnosis or as a substitute for consultation with a health care provider.