EMU Today

Activities and Events

| Wednesday, February 10, 2016

SPECIAL NOTICES:

* MAGIC PROGRAM TO HOST AMBASSADOR TRAINING: The MAGIC program will host an ambassador training on Friday, Mar. 4 in room 400 of Pierce Hall. MAGIC is a campus-based support program at EMU that exists to increase the graduation rates among students who have experienced foster care or homelessness. This free training is intended for campus and community partners who are interested in learning more about the MAGIC program. Attendees will leave with an increased understanding of campus based support programs, working with students who have experienced trauma as it relates to foster care and homelessness. Attendees who complete the training in its entirety will also leave with a MAGIC Ambassador certificate. Space is limited so sign up at the MAGIC website. Contact Megan DeVoe at mdevoe2@emich.edu or at 487-0899 for more information. 

 

DINING SERVICES HOSTS SPECIAL EVENTS: EMU Dining Services will host the following events to celebrate Valentine’s Day, Mardi Gras, Paczki Day, the Chinese New Year and Vendor Day.

  • Valentine’s Day Bake Sale: Eastern Eateries is having its annual Valentine's Day Bake Sale now through Sunday, Feb. 14. Featuring large heart-shaped chocolate chip cookie cake with a selection of Valentine messages for only $9. Gluten-free options are also available, as well as other great snacks like the strawberry kiss cupcakes, Valentine sugar cookies (6 pk.), M&M Valentine brownies and Valentine Rice Krispy treats. All can be purchased using Meal-Plan, Flex Dollar, cash, credit or debit.
  • Chinese New Year Celebration: The Commons presents Year of the Monkey Chinese New Year Celebration on Thursday, Feb. 11 from 4 – 8 p.m. Expect to have traditional Asian dishes, such as buddha delight, mongolian beef and egg drop soup. Please keep in mind that The Commons will be closed between 2 – 4 p.m. for setup. ! Cost is $7.90 and can be paid with Meal Plans, Flex Dollars, cash, credit or debit.
  • Vendor Day: Crossroads Marketplace invites you to come try new products from your favorite vendors during Vendor Day on Tuesday, Feb. 16, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Enjoy free samples from vendors like Famous Amos, Starburst, Skittles, Juicy Fruit, Welch’s Fruit Snacks, Air Heads and more.

For questions, please call Taye at 487-2442 or email tteklema@emich.edu.

 

FUNDRAISER FOR AMP! STUDENT ORGANIZATION: A fundraiser will be held for EMU’s AMP! Student Organization on Thursday, Feb. 11, from 7 – 10 p.m. at Cultivate Coffee & Tap House, located at 307 N. River St., in Ypsilanti. The event will feature 10 - 16 visual artists who will create their work live through out the course of the evening. The sensational works of art will be silently auctioned off while the artists are in the midst of their creative acts. Spectators will have the opportunity to witness the working process and watch as the artist's ideas transform into completed pieces of art. Bidding will start at $5 a piece, with 75% of the profits going towards AMP!’s Washington D.C. trip for Arts Advocacy Day. The remaining 25% will go towards Cultivate Coffee & Tap House's efforts to end hunger. For more information, visit the AMP! Facebook homepage or visit the AMP! homepage.

 

GRADUATE OPEN HOUSE: Learn how an EMU graduate degree is the advantage you need to succeed during the Graduate Open House on Saturday, Mar. 12 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. in the Student Center Ballroom. Apply onsite to a single program for free and enter to win three credits of tuition, a $1,500 award. Register today at Graduate Open House Registration or call 487-6453. 

 

LIFETOUCH PRESCHOOL PORTRAITS FUNDRAISER: Lifetouch will photograph children from six weeks old to 10 years old at the EMU Children's Institute on Monday, Mar. 14 and Tuesday, Mar. 15, from 8 - 11 a.m. You must pre-register anytime from Feb. 8, through Feb. 19 by either stopping in to the Children's Institute, located at 1055 Cornell, in the Fletcher Bldg. or by emailing or calling Beth Kahl at bkahl@emich.edu or 487-2348. No walk-in's will be accepted. In our continued commitment to support the safety of our community, every child photographed will receive two complimentary SmileSafe ID cards. 10% of all proceeds raised will go towards the Family Scholarship Fund. Please contact Beth Kahl at bkahl@emich.edu or 487-2348 for more information. 

 

* GET HOOPED UP: Take a picture and hang out with Hooper, the super mascot of the Detroit Pistons at noon Tuesday, Feb. 16, on the stage in the lower level of the Student Center. Hooper will be promoting TRUEMU Night at The Palace of Auburn Hills on Wednesday, Mar. 23. at 7:30 p.m. A FREE bus is available but seating is limited so be sure to Register for the Bus. For more information, email TRUEMU Days or contact the Office for Alumni Relations at 487-0250. 

  • facebook
  • twitter
  • youtube
  • linked in
  • Blog EMU
  • EMU app