* MOVE-IN AMBASSADORS NEEDED: EMU Housing & Residence Life invites all faculty and staff to join them on Saturday, Aug. 30, from 8:30 - 11 a.m., to be Move-In Ambassadors. Each year, faculty and staff play a critical role as first-year students come to college for the first time. Move-in Ambassadors will help give directions, talk to students and parents and spread the meaning of what it means to be TRUEMU. Please RSVP to Clifford Camp at email@example.com by Monday, Aug. 18.
* CALL FOR FACULTY "LIFE IN THE CLASSROOM" FACILITATORS: This faculty led First Four New Student Orientation session will take place on Sunday, Aug. 31, with sessions from 9:45 - 10:45 a.m., and from 11 a.m to 12 p.m., with a briefing session from 8:30 - 9:15 a.m. This is a very easy, turn-key operation with talking points and handouts provided. Any interested faculty or academic administrator can contact Amy Barnhart at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 487-2265 by Friday, Aug. 8.
* WELCOME TENT VOLUNTEERS WANTED: Faculty and staff are needed to welcome students back to campus by volunteering at one of the welcome tents setup on Wednesday, Sept. 4 or Thursday, Sept. 5. Your assistance to answer questions, give directions and hand out information to tent passersby would be greatly appreciated. There are two-hour shifts scheduled between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. on both days. Please go to Welcome Tent Volunteer to sign up for a shift.
* INVITATION TO L.I.V.E. WELCOME WEEK MIXER: Diversity and Community Involvement invites all faculty and staff to participate in this year's L.I.V.E. Welcome Week Mixer on Thursday, Sept. 4, 3 - 6 p.m., in room 310 in the Student Center. L.I.V.E. is a series of events designed to engage incoming first-generation students and students of color to assist them with their transition to college. One of the factors that helps first-generation students succeed in the classroom is developing relationships with faculty and professional staff. If you would like to participate, please RSVP with Dar Mayweather at email@example.com or call 487-2277.
* CALL FOR "MEIJER MANIA" VOLUNTEERS: Volunteers are needed to help out at the annual "Meijer Mania" event on Thursday, Sept. 4, with shifts from 7 - 8:30 p.m. or 8:30 - 10 p.m. Volunteer duties include assisting vendors in product distribution and floating in specific areas of the store to assist the students. Approximately 4,000 EMU students will attend this event. To volunteer, please contact Eric Ward at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 487-3806.
* VOLUNTEERS NEED FOR THE ICEBREAKER DANCE: Campus Life is seeking graduate student, faculty and staff volunteers to assistance at the annual NPHC Icebreaker Dance on Friday, Sept. 12, in Bowen Field House. Duties will include helping with entry, admission and traffic flow. If you would like to help, please sign up for a shift at Icebreaker Dance Volunteers.
* HOMECOMING STUDENT TAILGATE VOLUNTEERS: Campus Life is seeking graduate student, faculty and staff volunteer assistance for the annual Homecoming Student Organization Tailgate on Saturday, Oct. 11. Volunteers at this event will help manage the entry/admission/traffic flow process. Please sign up for a shift at Homecoming Tailgate Volunteers.
NEW EMPLOYMENT PORTAL FOR EMU STUDENTS: Career Services has transitioned to a new job portal called Handshake. This new system will allow EMU departments, as well as other employers to post job openings and also work-study positions for students. Students can view the job openings by clicking on the link handshake.emich.edu and entering their my.emich credentials or by going to my.emich and clicking on the Student Tab. EMU Departments or employers will need to request access to the new system in order to post a job opening. To request access, please visit https://app.joinhandshake.com/register. Contact Mary Chambers at email@example.com or 487-1006 or Crystal Walrath at firstname.lastname@example.org or 487-1304 with any questions.
YPSILANTI FIRE DEPARTMENT TRAINING EXERCISES ON EMU CAMPUS: The Ypsilanti Fire Department will be doing training exercises on the EMU campus at Jones and Goddard halls through Friday, Aug. 15 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
UPGRADES TO THE EAGLEMAIL SYSTEM: The EagleMail system will be upgraded to the latest version of the Zimbra email software beginning Saturday, Aug. 16 through Saturday, Aug. 30. Administrative staff mailboxes will be converted between August 16-22 and faculty mailboxes will be converted between August 23-30 (after Summer 2014 grades have been submitted). Email and calendaring services will remain available to all users during the migration, although response time may be slow. Please visit www.emich.edu/it/features/upgrades2014/zimbra8.php for a preview of the changes coming to EagleMail.
UPGRADE TO THE MY.EMICH PORTAL: The My.Emich portal will get a more contemporary look and feel on Friday, Aug. 22. Once logged in, you will see a modern design with familiar content. We are also re-branding the My.Emich username to “NetID” (since it is being used by more than the My.Emich system). Please visit www.emich.edu/it/features/upgrades2014/myemich_changes.php for a sneak-peek of the changes coming to My.Emich or go to https://my2.emich.edu to begin using the new interface.
EMU ONLINE DEPARTMENT DIRECTORY CORRECTIONS: Please take the time to check your Department Directory listing at http://www.emich.edu/telephones/ for accuracy. If your Department Directory listing information needs to be updated, please send the information to: email@example.com. For questions, contact Debra Burke at 487-6895 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PERSONAL DIRECTORY CORRECTIONS/UPDATES: Personal Directory Listings are populated through the Banner system. To check your personal listing for accuracy, please visit http://it.emich.edu/service/online/directory/index.cfm?fuseaction=main.
If a listing needs to be updated, an employee’s supervisor should update the information through a link located on the supervisor’s My.Emich Employee tab. Instructions are as follows:
- Visit My.emich.edu
- Click on the Employee tab
- Click on the Employee link below the row of tabs
- Click on the Update Employee Campus Address link. You will then see a table of your direct reports. To edit, click on the EID or Phone links to edit. Once you have completed your edits, click the Submit button. NOTE: it may take up to 24 hours for your change to take effect.
For non-supervisory staff, alternate update methods are explained on the Directory Information Updates page at https://www.emich.edu/it/services/directoryupdates.php.
SUBMISSIONS IN EMU TODAY: Please note, EMU TODAY is an internal daily e-blast sent to faculty and staff. To submit an announcement or post an event, please forward your entry electronically to email@example.com. Please be sure to format your entry with a title and include a description of the event, where the event will be held (room and building), the date and time, and a contact name, phone number and/or e-mail address. For questions, contact Debra Johnson at 487-2484.
NOTE: An asterisk denotes a new item.