* FORUMS ON STATEWIDE BALLOT INITIATIVES: Here is the schedule for these informative events, all of which will take place on campus in the Halle Library Auditorium. Each forum will last approximately 50 minutes and will focus on one of the six ballot proposals. Representatives of the "vote yes" and "vote no" campaigns will address the audience and answer questions. Each forum will be moderated by Leigh Greden, EMU's executive director of government and community relations. Students may earn Learning Beyond The Classroom (LBC) credit for attending at least two of forums.
Monday, October 8
5:30 p.m.: Proposal 3 (set standards for renewable energy)
6:30 p.m.: Proposal 2 (guarantee collective bargaining)
Tuesday, October 9
5:30 p.m.: Proposal 1 (emergency manager law)
6:30 p.m.: Proposal 6 (require a public vote before constructing an international bridge)
Wednesday, October 10
5:30 p.m.: Proposal 5 (require 2/3 vote by legislature to raise taxes)
6:30 p.m.: Proposal 4 (establish Michigan Quality Home Care Council and provide collective bargaining)
Please contact Leigh Greden at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like additional information.
* BLUE CROSS BLUE SHIELD AND BLUE CARE NETWORK EDUCATIONAL SESSIONS AND OPEN ENROLLMENT SCHEDULE: Starting January 1, 2013, health care options for several employee groups will be modified and expanded. An education session with BCBS to inform Administrative Professional (AP), Administrative Hourly (AH), Athletics Coaches (AC), Campus Police (CP), Clerical Secretarial (CS), Confidential Clericals (CC), and Faculty (FA) about their new health care options will be held Wednesday, October 10, from 9 - 11:30 a.m. and again at 1 - 3:30 p.m., in the Welch Hall Regents board room. Open enrollment for the new health care options will take place October 15-26, 2012.
This session will cover the new health care plans during one extended session. The primary focus of this will include:
- Health Savings Account (HSA) Eligible PPO
- Blue Care Network (BCN) HMO
- BCBS Pharmacy Initiatives
Information regarding additional education and Q & A sessions and open enrollment is forthcoming. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Benefits Office at 487-3195.
* UNITED WAY PLEDGE DRIVE: EMU has a great tradition of supporting this community and United Way is a part of that tradition. Please help us reach this year's goal of $100,000. There are six focus areas the campaign helps: early childhood care and education, school-aged youth, hunger relief, homelessness and housing, senior assistance and safety-net health. There are 3 ways you can make a donation:
- Express Link: http://uwwc.unitedwayepledge.org/epledge/emuquick
- Traditional Link: http://uwwc.unitedwayepledge.org/. User ID is your emich email address, password is "liveunited." Then, you will be asked to change your password.
- Paper donations are also an option. Please see your United Way department representative or contact this year's chair, Kevin Kucera, associate VP of enrollment management, or Linda Moore, coordinator at 487-8892 or email at email@example.com.
CYBER SECURITY TIP OF THE DAY: October is Cyber Security Awareness Month. For more cyber security awareness tips and information, go to SANS Security Awareness Tip of the Day. Today's tip:
- Lock your computer before you leave your desk. Go to learn how to lock your computer for directions.
HOMECOMING EVENTS: Below are the events featured today as part of homecoming week. For the complete list of all events, go to Homecoming Week of Events.
- Homecoming Clubhouse Jam - today, October 5, 8:30 a.m. - 2 p.m., at the Eagle Crest Golf Club, 1275 S. Huron Street, Ypsilanti. The EMUBA and the Professional Men of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc., Sigma Rho Chapter has partnered to bring the Homecoming Clubhouse Jam to EMU! Come celebrate the 60th year of the Theta Gamma Chapter at EMU! Hor's d' oeuvres, cash bar, party favors and fun with Alumni from all over the state.
Tickets are available online: emubahomecoming.eventbrite.com. Ticket are $20 in advance. For every ticket sold, a percentage will go toward EMUBA/Mathis Book Scholarships. Presented by the EMU Black Alumni Chapter, NPHC and Celebrating Y.O.U. (Your Opportunity to Unite). Co-sponsored by: Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc., Sigma Rho Chapter, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Xi Chapter.
- Bringing Back Tradition - today, October 5, 9 a.m. - 2:30 p.m., Student Center. Bringing the tradition back will consist of a fun, educational and informative day catered to freshman student, stressing the importance of higher education. Student organization leaders will provide mentorship, conduct educational workshops, and facilitate tours of Eastern Michigan University beautiful campus. In addition the EMU Foundation will provide three high school students with a $500 scholarship. Presented by the EMU Black Alumni Chapter, NPHC and Celebrating Y.O.U. (Your Opportunity to Unite). Co-sponsored by: Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Xi Chapter.
- Homecoming Yard Show - tonight, October 5, 7 p.m., Big Bob's Lake House. This event provides an opportunity for the National Pan-Hellenic Council both current and alumni to showcase and share the tradition of stepping with the university community. Presented by the EMU Black Alumni Chapter, NPHC and Celebrating Y.O.U. (Your Opportunity to Unite). Co-sponsored by: Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Xi Chapter.
- Friday Night Movie - tonight, October 5, 8 p.m., Student Center Auditorium. Want something fun to do with your friends on Friday night, but short on cash? Come by the Student Center Auditorium to watch the movie "TED" for FREE. Kick it with friends and enjoy some of the newest movies on the big screen with exciting surround sound every week. Sponsored by Campus Life.
DISSERTATION ORAL DEFENSE: Tamara Perry, from the Psychology Department, will defend her dissertation, "The Effects of Response Interruption and Redirection on Language Skills in Children with Vocal Stereotype," today, October 5, 9 a.m., Room 327, Mark Jefferson Science Complex.
EMU FOUNDATION BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING: The Eastern Michigan University Foundation Board of Trustees will meet today, October 5, 1 p.m., at the Eagle Crest Golf Clubhouse (1275 S. Huron Street, Ypsilanti). The public is welcome to attend. For more information, contact Maria Cyars at 481-2304.
SUBMISSIONS TO EMU TODAY: To submit an announcement or post an event to EMU TODAY, please forward your entry electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to format your entry using the EMU TODAY style and include a contact name, phone number and/or an e-mail address. Please note - EMU TODAY is sent to faculty and staff (not students). For questions, contact Debra Johnson at 487-2484.
NOTE: Asterisk denote new items.
EVENTS FOR SATURDAY, OCTOBER 6 & SUNDAY, OCTOBER 7:
EMU EAGLES TAKE ON KENT STATE: It's homecoming so come on out and show your support for the EMU Eagles as they play against Kent State at 1 p.m., at Rynearson Stadium. Click on 2012 football season for a complete list of all the games. For ticket pricing and/or to purchase tickets, go to 2012 Football Tickets.
* EMU DIVING CLOWN SHOW FUNDRAISER: Support the EMU swimming and diving teams by attending their annual Diving Clown Show fundraiser, Saturday October 6, 6 p.m., at Jones Natatorium in the Rec/IM. Those who come will enjoy watching the team do crazy tricks off the diving boards and platforms - smacking for the audiences pleasure! The event is sponsored by the EMU diving team and proceeds will help fund their winter training trip. Tickets are $5.00 at the door. For more information, contact Matt Ventura at email@example.com.
WIP GRANT APPLICATION DEADLINE OCT. 7: Women in Philanthropy at EMU is accepting grant applications through Sunday, Oct. 7 for the 2012 grant year. Applications must be submitted by using the online template found on the WIP-EMU grant guidelines homepage website. For further assistance, call Laura Thomas of the EMU Foundation at 481-2323.