Conferences & Workshops
FACULTY DEVELOPMENT CENTER FALL WORKSHOPS: There are several events offered by the FDC. To see a complete list of events, go to FDC Events or contact Kelly Frisch at 487-0020, ext. 2112 or email at email@example.com for additional information.
RETIREWISE SERIES: The RetireWise Series is a complimentary retirement education opportunity provided by EMU. It offers the tools you need to clarify your goals and take action. There will be 4 Modules offered in this program. All sessions will be 12 p.m. - 2 p.m., in the HR Training Room 100 McKenny. Please see each session for dates.
- Module 3: Establishing Your Retirement Income Stream - Wednesday, October 17
- Module 4: Making the Most of What You - Wednesday, October 24
For registration visit www.metlifeplansmart.com, Enter "EMU" or call 866-801-3547.
OFFICE OF RESEARCH DEVELOPMENT TRAINING WORKSHOPS: The Office of Research Development (ORD) will have the following development and training modules for faculty. For more information, go to ORD workshops or contact Margie Dargo at 487-3090 (ORD) or email at firstname.lastname@example.org to register for the workshops.
- Identifying Funding Sources for your Project: Friday, October 19, 12 - 1 p.m., at the FDC in Halle. Presented by Harriet Lindsay.
- Building Effective Relationships with Program Officers: Friday, November 2, 12 - 1 p.m., at the FDC in Halle. Presentd by Harriet Lindsay.
- Involving Undergraduates in your Research: Friday, November 9, 12 - 1 p.m., at the FDC in Halle. Presentd by Harriet Lindsay.
- Technology Transfer at EMU: Friday, November 30, 12 - 1 p.m., 2nd floor in Starkweather. Presentd by Phil Rufe.
- Developing the Grant Budget: Friday, December 7, 12 - 1 p.m., 2nd floor in Starkweather. Presentd by Susan Campbell.
SPECIAL WORKSHOP ON GRANT BUDGETING: The Office of Research Development will offer a workshop focusing on grant budgets for faculty, principal investigators, project directors and new department heads, Tuesday, October 23 and Tuesday, November 7, 1 - 3 p.m., Room G07C, Halle Library. The workshop will cover how to manage a grant budget using My.Emich budget queries and the BEO reporting system. Attendees will learn how to query for available balance and transaction detail, and how to monitor payroll with the Labor Distribution report.
For more information, click on training session and registration.
WELL-BEING EDUCATIONAL SERIES FOR FACULTY & STAFF: The EMU Benefits Office is pleased to offer the Ceridian Emotional Well-Being Education Series. Join them for the following Lunch & Learn sessions which are currently available for registration. Please call the Benefits Office at 487-3195 to register for one or all of the sessions.
"Silencing the Inner Critic: Building Self-Esteem," - Tuesday, November 6, 12 - 1 p.m., HR Training Suite (100 McKenny). Many people are their own toughest critic. But being too hard on yourself can be damaging to your self-esteem. This seminar offers strategies for tempering the messages that your inner critic gives you. As a participant in this seminar, you will be able to:
- Define & identify sources of adult self-esteem
- Make the connection between irrational thinking and low self-esteem
- Learn how to interpret comments of your inner critic
- Learn strategies for controlling the critic and enhancing self-esteem
- Create a personal plan for developing positive self-esteem
"Understanding the Difference Between Depression and the "Blues," - Thursday, November 15, 12 - 1 p.m., HR Training Suite (100 McKenny). Everyone feels a little down from time to time, especially when dealing with tough life events. But there's a difference between feeling "blue" or "down in the dumps" and experiencing a clinical depressive disorder. If the sad feelings continue for a prolonged period of time and interfere with enjoyment of life, it could be depression. Participants will learn to:
- Recognize the myths about depression
- Clarify the difference between depressive disorders and the "blues"
- Define depression and the various types
- Identify the symptoms, causes, evaluation components, and treatments for depression
- Learn ways to cope with depression and support a family member or friend who is depressed