YEAR-END GIFTS: The end of the year is quickly approaching and The Foundation is asking for your assistance so that they can process year-end gifts in a timely manner. If you have any checks delivered to your office, be sure to include the envelope when sending them to the EMU Foundation for receipting. The IRS requires EMU to prove delivery by December 31, 2012 in order to process a 2012 tax receipt. All gifts that arrive to individual departments during the holidays should be delivered to the EMU Foundation on or before the end of the business day, Monday, January 7, to receive a 2012 tax receipt. Please direct any questions to Cherie Burkheiser, Midge Elkins or Garima Sharma at The Foundation at 484-1322.
* "TOYS FOR TOTS" DONATION DRIVE: The Student Chapter of The American Marketing Association is proud to sponsor "Toys for Tots" at the College of Business. They are asking for donations of a new unwrapped toy to be delivered to either of the two "Toys for Tots" drop-off locations listed below:
- The Cafe in the College of Business
- Fourth floor between Marketing Department & Dean's Suite
They will be collecting toys through Monday, December 17. If you have any questions, please contact Meghan Hagood at email@example.com.
* FACULTY AND STAFF GIVING PROGRAM: Now is the time to make your gift to the Faculty and Staff Giving Program! Today, December 7 is the last day to take advantage of the maximum number of payroll deductions in calendar year 2013. Please fill out your online giving form and submit it no later than 12 p.m. to ensure processing. 100 percent of your gift goes directly to the program of your choice. Make your gift by clicking on Faculty & Staff Giving Program. For more information, please contact Jackie Richardson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
THOUGHTS FROM PRESIDENT MARTIN ON UNITED WAY: Eastern Michigan University (EMU) is a community-minded university that has a long-standing relationship with United Way. I am very proud to partner with United Way in improving our community through the support of programs focused on Education, Financial Stability and Health - the building blocks for a good quality life.
As Eastern Michigan continues this year's United Way campaign toward our goal of $100,000, we need your help. Your support can play an important role in improving the lives of those who need our help most and I believe that there is no better way to make a lasting difference in our community than through United Way of Washtenaw County.
- When you give to United Way, your gift stays right here in Washtenaw County and is invested in the programs, partnerships and initiatives critical to our community.
- Your one gift helps more than one person, one family or one charity - it helps build a stronger community for all of us.
- United Way is the collective power of people working together toward long-term solutions, not short-term fixes.
- United Way is focused on results - results that will ensure your gift is making the greatest difference possible.
Whether you are a first-time giver or someone who has supported United Way for many years, your gift is appreciated. Please join me as we help advance United Way's work in our community. EMU will always be a community-minded university!
There are 3 ways you can make a donation:
- Express Link: http://uwwc.unitedwayepledge.org/epledge/emuquick
- Traditional Link: http://uwwc.unitedwayepledge.org/. User ID is your emich email address, password is "liveunited." Then, you will be asked to change your password.
- Paper donations are also an option. Please see your United Way department representative or contact this year's chair, Kevin Kucera, associate VP of enrollment management, or Linda Moore, coordinator at 487-8892 or email at email@example.com.
Susan W. Martin
DISSERTATION ORAL DEFENSE: Alfred Mansour, from the Psychology Department, will defend his dissertation, "MEG Coherence Imaging in Dyslexia: Activation of Working Memory Pathways," today, December 7, 10 a.m., Room 327 in Mark Jefferson Science Complex. For more information, contact Ashley Stauffer at 487-1155.
OFFICE OF RESEARCH DEVELOPMENT TRAINING WORKSHOP: The Office of Research Development (ORD) will offer a workshop for faculty titled "Developing the Grant Budget," today, December 7, from 12 - 1 p.m., on the second floor in Starkweather. Presented by Susan Campbell. For more information, go to ORD workshops or contact Margie Dargo at 487-3090 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
MEMORIAL SERVICE FOR JOHN W. PORTER: The campus community is invited to attend a memorial service honoring Dr. John W. Porter, today, December 7, 3 p.m., in the Student Center Ballroom. Light refreshments will be served immediately following the program. For questions, please contact Ted Coutilish at 487-2483 or email email@example.com.
MEN'S TRACK & FIELD: The Green and White opens the 2012-13 season with a pair of home meets at Bob Parks Track inside Bowen Field House. On today, December 7, the Eagles host Oakland University, out of the Summit League, along with Mid-American Conference rival Central Michigan. The 16-meet schedule consists of a trio of home indoor meets that includes the 2013 MAC Indoor Championships. Go to Men's Track & Field homepage for more information or click on the 2012-13 Men's Track & Field schedule for the 16-meet lineup.
WOMEN'S TRACK & FIELD MEET: Eastern Eagles will host the Eagle Holiday Women's Track & Field meet on today, December 7, at Bob Parks Track inside Bowen Field House. For more information, go to Women's Track & Field homepage or click on the 2012-13 Women's Track & Field schedule for the meet lineup.
PLANNED COMPUTING SYSTEM DOWNTIME: Monthly maintenance of EMU's computing systems will be conducted tonight, December 7, 6 p.m. to midnight. During this month's maintenance program, the following major computer systems will be unavailable:
- My.emich (including self-service faculty, student and employee tabs)
- EMS (Event Planning)
- Linguist List
- Red Lantern
- Resource 25
- IT Custom Webapps
- Service Desk Express
All other systems and services remain AVAILABLE including:
• Wired and Wireless Internet Access (residence halls, offices, and classrooms)
- EMU-Online course management system ( http://emuonline.edu )
- Online Hiring System ( www.emujobs.com )
- EagleMail (mail.emich.edu)
All planned maintenance for major EMU systems is scheduled in conjunction with the ERP-Business Operations Committee (BOC). The BOC includes representation from various campus units and Faculty Senate. Please contact the Help Desk at 487-2120 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about this scheduled downtime. We appreciate your patience during this important and required system outage.
"HOOPS FOR HOPE" BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT: Student Government hosts"Hoops for Hope" Basketball Tournament, tonight, December 7, from 6 - 9 p.m., at the REC/IM. Teams of 5 with 2 substitutes are $35. HIV cases are increasing amongst youth ages 24 and under - 38% in Washtenaw County this year. Suppress the stigma, spread the word and get tested. For more information, please contact Megan Cary at email@example.com. Below are the events scheduled:
WHITE AS SNOW, RED AS BLOOD: THE STORY OF SNOW WHITE: EMU Theatre presents a richly warm and mysterious version of the traditional story. White as Snow, Red as Blood: The Story of Snow White will be at Quirk Theatre tonight, December 7, at 7 p.m. This production is strongly recommended for audiences ages 8+ as some scenes may be scary for younger audiences. Tickets are $15 regular admission, $12 for students and seniors, $9 for mainstage patrons, and $7 for children ages 8-12, no further discounts apply. Tickets are available by phone at 487-2282, in person at the Convocation Center, the Student Center ticket office or Quirk Box Office. To purchase tickets online visit: www.emutix.com. Please note that there is an additional fee for tickets purchased by phone or online. For more information about EMU Theatre, our season and directions to our theatres visit www.emich.edu/emutheatre or, fan us on Facebook: Eastern Michigan University Theatre, follow us on Twitter: emutheatre or call our office at 478-1220.
EVENTS FOR SATURDAY, DECEMBER 8:
MEN'S BASKETBALL FACE OFF WITH PURDUE: The EMU men's basketball team will take on Purdue, Saturday, December 8, at 2 p.m., at the Convocation Center. The game will be televised on ESPN3 and can be heard on WEMU (89.1 News Radio). For the complete basketball schedule, go to 2012-13 Men's Basketball schedule or click on Men's Basketball homepage for more information. Partial season ticket packages are still available. For more information on season tickets for the Eagles, go to EMU Tickets or call the EMU ticket office at 487-2282.
MEN'S WRESTLING MEET: The Eagles are back in action when they face the Duke University and University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Mich. Saturday, December 8. Match times are set for noon against Duke and 4 p.m. against Michigan. To see upcoming meets, go to 2012-13 Men's Wrestling schedule or click on Wrestling homepage for more information.
NOTE: An asterisk denotes a new item.