* ENTER TO WIN A NEW 2011 GMC TERRAIN: Visit EMU Tickets and purchase a ticket to a home Football game or to a Men's or Women's Basketball game for ONLY $5 each and enter promo code "wincar" for a chance to win a brand new 2011 GMC Terrain compliments of LaFontaine Automotive Group, Eastern Michigan University and Pakmode Media + Marketing. The giveaway will take place at the February 23 Men’s Basketball game. For a complete list of all the Rules and Regulations, click on Enter to Win at GMC Terrain for more information. Contact Ted Coutilish at 487-6981 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
TRAINING SESSIONS ON PRIVACY ISSUES: To ensure that Eastern and its faculty and staff are in compliance with all legal and regulatory requirements related to privacy issues, a new training session has been developed by the Office of Business and Finance. The privacy training, which is mandatory for all faculty and staff, will be offered on several different dates in an effort to accommodate schedules, and will also be offered in an online format. Faculty and staff can attend either kind of session. The first public sessions are scheduled for:
- Tuesday, January 22, 10 - 11 a.m., Halle Auditorium
- Friday, January 25, 11 - Noon, Halle Auditorium
- Monday, January 28, 11 - Noon, Halle Auditorium
Based on these sessions, a program will be developed for the on-line HR system called Success Factors, which will be available once developed. If you would like to arrange a training session for your department, please contact Margaret Tsilis at 487-3328. Participation is mandatory to attend one of the training sessions or complete on-line (once developed). No pre-registration is required. Additional dates will be announced. If you have any questions regarding privacy training, please contact Steve LaChance at 487-1490, or Andrea Jaeckel at 487-3328.
PLANNED COMPUTING SYSTEM DOWNTIME: Monthly maintenance of EMU's computing systems will be performed on Friday, January 18, from 6 p.m. to midnight. During this month's maintenance program, the following major computer systems will be unavailable:
- My.emich (including self-service faculty, student and employee tabs)
- EMS (Event Planning)
- Blogs (blogs.emich.edu)
- Linguist List
- Red Lantern
- Resource 25
- IT Custom Webapps
- Service Desk Express
- Library Services
All other systems and services remain AVAILABLE including:
• Wired and Wireless Internet Access (residence halls, offices, and classrooms)
- EMU-Online course management system ( http://emuonline.edu )
- Online Hiring System ( www.emujobs.com )
- EagleMail (mail.emich.edu)
All planned maintenance for major EMU systems is scheduled in conjunction with the ERP-Business Operations Committee (BOC). The BOC includes representation from various campus units and Faculty Senate. Please contact the Help Desk at 487-2120 or email@example.com if you have any questions about this scheduled downtime. We appreciate your patience during this important and required system outage.
* FACULTY DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITY FOR LGBT EQUALITY ISSUES: The Center for the Study of Equality and Human Rights (CSEHR) announces a Faculty Fellows program focused on the design and development for academic work focused on LGBT Equality and Human Rights. The final outcome of participation in the program will be a finished and implementable proposal for an applied academic research project, a curriculum innovation project (K-12 or post-secondary), or a community action, advocacy, and/or improvement project. Six faculty members will be selected to participate in the Fall 2013 CSEHR Faculty Fellows Program. For more information and applications, go to Faculty Fellows Programs.
* 2013-2014 RESEARCH AWARDS AND SPEAKER SERIES: The Center for the Study of Equality and Human Rights (CSEHR) at Eastern Michigan University is seeking proposals for participation in its Research Awards and Speaker Series Program. The goal of the Research Awards program is to stimulate LGBT public policy oriented academic research in the Social Sciences, Communication and Media Arts, Human Services, Education, and Arts disciplines. Faculty members working at U.S. post-secondary institutions and doctoral students in these disciplines are eligible for and encouraged to submit proposals. Email Michael Tew at firstname.lastname@example.org or go to Research Awards for more information.
* CSEHR ANNOUNCES SUPPORT FOR STUDENT LGBT RESEARCH: The Center for the Study of Equality and Human Rights (CSEHR) is accepting proposals for LGBT student research. The Center will award a $500.00 scholarship to one graduate student and one undergraduate student. Qualifying research must focus on equality oriented public policy associated with LGBT communities. Selected research projects will be submitted by the student and Center for possible inclusion in EMU's Undergraduate Research Symposium or the Graduate Research Fair in the Winter 2014 semester, and, will be published in the Center's Equality Research Monograph. For more information and applications, go to Research Awards.
INSTITUTIONAL STRATEGIC PLANNING OPEN FORUM: Faculty, staff and students are invited to participate in an open forum about Eastern Michigan University's Institutional Strategic Planning processon today, January 16, from 10:30 a.m. to noon, in Room 310A of the Student Center. During the forum, an update will be provided on the activities initiated so far and participants will have an opportunity to provide feedback and discussion on draft mission, vision and values statements that have been developed by the Institutional Strategic Planning Council (ISPC). A recently completed Market Analysis conducted by Deloitte on behalf of Eastern also will be reviewed. Eastern Michigan University President Susan Martin and Professor of Economics Raouf Hanna, co-chair of the ISPC, will host the forum. This will be the first of several forums to review the process to date and to receive feedback and input.
WINTERFEST STUDENT CENTER VENDOR CELEBRATION: Student Government in collaboration with the Student Center Administration and Campus Life will host the Student Center Vendor Celebration, today, January 16, 2 - 4 p.m., in the 1st floor of the Student Center. Students will be able to sample many of the foods offered by the eateries in the Student Center.
WOMEN'S BASKETBALL TAKES ON TOLEDO: The EMU women's basketball team will play against Toleldo on tonight, January 16, at 7 p.m., at the Convocation Center. The game will be televised on ALL-ACCESS and can also be heard on WEMU (89.1 News Radio). The next game will be against Bowling Green on Sunday, January 27, at 2 p.m. For the complete basketball schedule, go to 2013 Women's Basketball schedule or click on Women's Basketball homepage for more information. For information on tickets, go to EMU Tickets or call the EMU ticket office at 487-2282.
WINTER 2013 TUITION WAIVER DEADLINE: The deadline for submitting tuition waivers for Winter 2012 is today, January 16. All tuition waivers must be submitted to the Benefits Office, 140 McKenny Hall. You can also fax your waiver to 487-4389. Tuition waivers submitted after the deadline will not be accepted. For questions, contact Helene Neely at 487-3195, or email@example.com.
SUBMISSIONS TO EMU TODAY: Please note, EMU TODAY is a internal daily e-blast sent to faculty and staff only. To submit an announcement or post an event, please forward your entry electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to format your entry with a title and include a description of the event, where the event will be held (room and building), the date and time, and a contact name, phone number and/or e-mail address. For questions, contact Debra Johnson at 487-2484.
NOTE: An asterisk denotes a new item.