Lectures & Presentations
BROWN BAG PRESENTATION ON MENTAL ILLNESS: The EMU Women's and Gender Studies Department is pleased to present "A Look at Mental Illness," on Wednesday, Mar. 5, 12 - 1 p.m., in room 300, Halle Library as part of Women's History Month. Presenters include Abigail Cowell and representatives from CAPS Services. For questions, please contact the Women's Resource Center at 487-4282.
KEYNOTE LECTURE AS PART OF WOMEN'S HISTORY MONTH: The EMU Women's and Gender Studies Department is pleased to present Senator and Ambassador Carol Moseley Braun on Thursday, Mar. 6, 5 - 7:30 p.m., in Ballroom B in the Student Center. Moseley Braun will speak on "America in 2014: Post-Racial and Post-Feminist?: Future Directions in Civil and Political Rights." The reception will be from 5 - 6 p.m. and the keynote address will be from 6 - 7:30 p.m. Please contact Mary-Elizabeth Murphy at 487-1018 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or questions.
BROWN BAG PRESENTATION ON HOW TO RESEARCH WOMEN'S HISTORY: The EMU Women's and Gender Studies Department is pleased to present "The Past Split Open: How to Research Women's History," on Wednesday, Mar. 12, 12 - 1 p.m., in room 300, Halle Library. For questions, please contact the Women's Resource Center at 487-4282.
* LECTURE AND BOOK SIGNING: The EMU Women's and Gender Studies Department is pleased to present Betty Brown-Chappell as she lectures on "Open Secrets: A Poor Person's Life in Higher Education," on Wednesday, Mar. 12, 6 - 7:30 p.m.,in room 306, Pray-Harold. For further information, please contact Betty Brown-Chappell at email@example.com.
* LECTURE ON STUDENT EMPOWERMENT THROUGH NONPROFIT EDUCATION: As part of Women's History Month, there will be a lecture on Monday, Mar. 17, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the auditorium in Halle Library. The lecture will talk about "Student Empowerment through NonProfit Education." Presenters include Laura Schultz Pipis, Michelle Kuhar, Colleen Cartwright, Olivia Mateso Mbala-Nkanga and Jennifer Oatis. Please contact Claudia Petrescu at 487-1313 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* "WOMEN IN GREEK LIFE" BROWN BAG PRESENTATION: The EMU Women's and Gender Studies Department is pleased to present "Women in Greek Life" on Wednesday, Mar. 19, 12 - 1 p.m., in room 300, Halle Library. Presenters will be Casey Jordan and Amy Barnhart. Sponsored by the Women's Resource Center.
CAMPUS SAFETY AWARENESS & HAZARD COMMUNICATION TRAINING: All new employees of the University are required to attend one of the Safety Awareness & Hazard Communication training sessions presented by the EMU Environmental Health Safety (EHS). Training sessions have been scheduled for the following dates:
- Tuesday, Mar. 11, 8:30 - 10 a.m., room 300, Halle Library
- Wednesday, Mar. 12, 1:30 - 3 p.m., room 300, Halle Library
- Monday, Apr. 14, 8:30 - 10 a.m., room 300, Halle Library
- Wednesday, Apr. 16, 1:30 - 3 p.m., room 300, Halle Library
- Wednesday, May 14, 1:30 - 3 p.m., room 300, Halle Library
- Thursday, May 15, 1:30 - 3 p.m., room 300, Halle Library
- Tuesday, June 10, 8:30 - 10 a.m., room 300, Halle Library
- Monday, June 16, 1:30 - 3 p.m., room 300, Halle Library
Please register at email@example.com or call 487-0794.
INTERNATIONAL CONVERSATION CLUB: The International Student Resource Center presents an opportunity for students and the campus community to participate in conversation with people from all over the world about a wide variety of topics. Please encourage your international and domestic students to attend to learn about various cultural views and practices. The group will meet in room 318 King Hall on the followings dates and times:
- Wednesday, Mar. 5, 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. & 3:30 - 4:45 p.m.
- Wednesday, Mar. 12, 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. & 3:30 - 4:45 p.m.
- Wednesday, Mar. 19, 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. & 3:30 - 4:45 p.m.
- Wednesday, Mar. 26, 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. & 3:30 - 4:45 p.m.
- Wednesday, Apr. 2, 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. & 3:30 - 4:45 p.m.
- Wednesday, Apr. 9, 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. & 3:30 - 4:45 p.m.
- Wednesday, Apr. 16, 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. & 3:30 - 4:45 p.m.
Faculty and staff are welcome to attend. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions. This event is LBC approved.
LIVE YOUR DREAM - THE TAYLOR ANDERSON STORY: The Taylor Anderson Story is a story about an extraordinary American who dedicated herself as an assistant language teacher in the Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) program. The event will be held on Tuesday, Mar. 4, 6:30 p.m., in the Student Center Auditorium. Doors open at 6:30 p.m., and guest speakers will be introduced at 6:45 p.m., and the movie will start at 7 p.m. There will be a Q&A session at 8:30 p.m.
Taylor had been teaching Japanese children until she lost her life during the event of March 11, 2011, the East Japan Great Earthquake. Through her story, we hope to spread the importance of learning other cultures, helping each other and having passion in life. The screening is LBC approved and open to the public. For more information, please contact Sayuri Kubota via email at email@example.com or by phone 487-0191.
THIRD ANNUAL SOCIAL WORK ALUMNI LECTURE SERIES: The Third Annual Social Work Alumni Lecture Series will be held on Friday, Mar. 7, 12 - 4:30 p.m., at the Student Center. To register please call 487-8040 or go to Social Work Alumni Lecture Registration.
2013-2014 STAR LECTURE SERIES WELCOMES LYNN NYBELL: The EMU Honors College would like to invite all students, staff, faculty and community members to the 2013-2014 Star Lectures: "Manifestations of Poverty." The lecture features Lynn Nybell, who will address "Manifestations of Poverty: Who Cares? The Cultural Politics of Indifference," on Tuesday, Mar. 11, 7 p.m., in Halle Auditorium. This interactive session will explore the impact of social policy and its role in intensifying the dismal effects of poverty and diminished opportunity on young people and thus our shared future. This final lecture for the year will also promote speculation about how we might live otherwise through changed policy and renewed commitment. For additional information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
2014 EQUALITY SPEAKER SERIES: The Center for the Study of Equality and Human Rights announces the 2014 Equality Speaker Series. Please join them in room 247, McKenny Hall for one or all of the following:
- Thursday, Mar. 20, 3:30 p.m.; - Natalie Dove (EMU) and Randal Brown (UN,Reno) "Promoting Equal Rates of STI Testing for LGBT Individual."
- Friday, Apr. 11, 12 p.m. - Stephen L. Rassi (EMU), "Understanding Practice Issues with Transgender People: Listening to Practitioner and Client Voices."