* UNDERGRADUATE SYMPOSIUM NOMINATIONS OPEN TODAY: The 33rd Undergraduate Symposium will be held next year on Friday, March 22, 2013. The online nomination process for students to present at the Symposium opens today and you can go to Symposium Nomination Submission for more information. This one-day event is a showcase of students sharing the results of their research and creative academic activities in a conference format through oral presentations, poster displays or Design Expo exhibits. Email Wendy Kivi with questions or for more information at email@example.com or call 487-3198.
PLANNED COMPUTING SYSTEM DOWNTIME: Monthly maintenance of EMU's computing systems will be performed Friday, November 16, 6 p.m. to midnight. During this month's maintenance program, the following major computer systems will be unavailable:
- EMU Website (www.emich.edu)
- My.emich (including self-service faculty, student and employee tabs)
- EMS (Event Planning)
- Linguist List
- Library Card Catalog
- Library Research Database(s)
- Email child account and forward services only
- Red Lantern
- Resource 25
- Service Desk Express
All other systems and services remain AVAILABLE including:
• Wired and Wireless Internet Access (residence halls, offices, and classrooms)
- EMU-Online course management system (http://emuonline.edu)
- Online Hiring System (www.emujobs.com)
- EagleMail (mail.emich.edu)
All planned maintenance for major EMU systems is scheduled in conjunction with the ERP-Business Operations Committee (BOC). The BOC includes representation from various campus units and Faculty Senate. Please contact the Help Desk at 487-2120 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about this scheduled downtime. We appreciate your patience during this important and required system outage.
EMU WILL BE CLOSED WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 21: As part of the University's campaign to contain costs and conserve energy, EMU is implementing another Energy Savings Day Program. This year, the University will be closed for business on Wednesday, November 21, however, some offices critical to the operation of the University will remain open despite this closure. All staff employees normally scheduled to work on this day will use four hours of vacation or sick/personal time for each eight-hour day. EMU will cover the second half of the scheduled work hours with paid release time. Questions from faculty employees should be directed to Academic Human Resources at 487-0076. Questions from staff employees should be directed to Human Resources at 487-3430.
POINSETTIA SALE SCHOLARSHIP FUNDRAISER: The EMU Women's Association Annual Poinsettia Sale offers beautiful, long-lasting poinsettias, fresh wreaths, and garlands to decorate your office or home - they also make great gifts. All proceeds go to the EMU Women's Association Scholarship fund. Last year four scholarships were awarded to deserving students, totaling over $3,400. To place your order, go to Poinsettias Order Form. The deadline for all orders is Monday, November 19. Poinsettia pick-up will be November 29 and 30, at the Welcome Center, Room 121, Halle Library. If you have any questions, please contact Susann deVries, email@example.com, 487-2475.
DINING SERVICES CUSTOMER SATISFACTION SURVEY: Dining Services is conducting an electronic survey through November 21. Please take a moment to complete the survey and let them know what you think makes EMU one of the best college dining experiences or even what improvements we can make to increase your dining experience. There will be prizes that range from free Advantage Meal Cards to high-end electronics devices that include the Apple IPad 3. For questions or comments regarding the survey, please contact Dining Services or call 487-0418.
WINTER 2013 TUITION WAIVER DEADLINE: The deadline for submitting tuition waivers for Winter 2012 is Wednesday, January 16, 2013. All tuition waivers must be submitted to the Benefits Office, 140 McKenny Hall. You can also fax your waiver to 487-4389. Tuition waivers submitted after Wednesday, January 16, 2013, will not be submitted for approval. For questions, contact Helene Neely at 487-3195, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
BIG SALE AT EAGLE CREST GOLF CLUB PRO SHOP: The Eagle Crest Golf Club, located at 1275 S. Huron Street is having a blow-out clearance sale on their golf pro shop merchandise. Pro shop hours in November are Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. and in December the hours are Monday-Friday 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. Gift cards are also available. For more information, call the Eagle Crest Golf Club at 734-487-2441.
LUNCH AND LEARN WELL-BEING EDUCATIONAL WORKSHOP FOR FACULTY & STAFF: The EMU Benefits Office offerS the Ceridian Emotional Well-Being Education workshop "Understanding the Difference Between Depression and the "Blues," today, November 15, from 12 - 1 p.m., in the HR Training Suite (100 McKenny). Please call the Benefits Office at 487-3195 to register.
* MAGIC INFORMATIONAL EVENT: All are welcome to attend our MAGIC (Mentorship, Access, Guidance In College) informational event today, November 15, from 1 - 2:30 p.m., in room 320, in the Student Center. MAGIC is a new program at EMU that provides support services to students once in foster care. Our students will work one on one with an Independent Living Skills Coach to develop a plan to achieve success, graduate from EMU, and secure independence. Service opportunities are available. Food and refreshments will be provided. For more information or questions, please contact either Elise Buggs or Joi Rencher at 487-0899 or email at: email@example.com.
* THE COMMONS PRESENTS - THANKSGIVING DINNER: The Commons will offer an "all you care to eat" Thanksgiving Dinner buffet, today, November 15, from 4 - 8 p.m. for only $7.10. Featuring Roasted Turkey, Spiral Cut Ham, Oven Baked Lemon Pepper Tilapia, Corn Bread Stuffing, Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Green Bean Casserole, Baked Sweet Potatoes, Cranberry Sauce and assorted Cheese and Fruit Trays. Save room for Pumpkin Pie and Apple Turnovers for dessert. The Commons will be closed from 2 - 4 p.m. as the staff prepares for the festivities.
RETIREMENT PARTY FOR MORELL BOONE: The campus community is welcome to attend Morell Boone's retirement party, today, November 15, from 4 p.m. - 6p.m., at Woodruffs, 36 East Cross Street in Depot Town. Please join us in celebrating Morell's 32 years with EMU. There will be light refreshments provided. To RSVP and/or contribute a gift, please contact Rebekah McDow at firstname.lastname@example.org. Contact Don Keller at 487-2295 for any questions on this event.
POST AN EVENT TO THE EVENTS CALENDAR: To submit an event to the Events Calendar, go to the EMU website, click on "calendars," then click on the green button labeled "Submit an Event" (located on the bottom left) and enter your event information. If you need help or have questions, please contact Debra Johnson at email@example.com or call 487-2484. All events are subject to approval.
DEPARTMENT DIRECTORY UPDATES: If your Department Directory listing is not accurate, please send the updated information to: firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions, contact Debra Burke at 487-6895 or by e-mail at email@example.com. Please note that personal directory listings are populated by Banner and you will need to contact Academic HR or Staff HR to update personal listings.
SUBMISSIONS TO EMU TODAY: Please note, EMU TODAY is a internal daily e-blast sent to faculty and staff only. To submit an announcement or post an event, please forward your entry electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to format your entry with a title and include a description of the event, where the event will be held (room and building), the date and time, and a contact name, phone number and/or e-mail address. For questions, contact Debra Johnson at 487-2484.
NOTE: Asterisk denote new items.