REQUIRED SAFETY AWARENESS & HAZARD COMMUNICATION TRAINING: The Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) will be conducting Safety Awareness & Hazard Communication Trainings on the following dates. This is a required training for all EMU employees who have not yet taken this training and those who may need a refresher. It is open to all employees and student employees and provides information on the safety systems, practices and expectations to maintain a safe campus community.
- Friday Mar. 8, 1- 2:30 p.m., in Room 300, Halle Library
- Friday Apr. 12, 1- 2:30 p.m., in Room 300, Halle Library
- Friday May 10, 1- 2:30 p.m., in Room 300, Halle Library
- Friday June 14, 1- 2:30 p.m., in Room 300, Halle Library
To register, contact EHS at 487-0794 or email at email@example.com.
TRAINING SESSIONS ON PRIVACY ISSUES: To ensure that Eastern and its faculty and staff are in compliance with all legal and regulatory requirements related to privacy issues, a new training session has been developed by the Office of Business and Finance. The privacy training, which is mandatory for all faculty and staff, is offered on several different dates in an effort to accommodate schedules, and will also be offered in an online format. Faculty and staff can attend either kind of session. Below are the upcoming sessions:
- Monday, Feb. 18, 1 - 2 p.m., Halle Auditorium
- Wednesday, Feb. 27, 11 a.m. - Noon, Halle Auditorium
- Thursday, Feb. 28, 2 - 3 p.m., Halle Auditorium
Based on these sessions, a program will be developed for the on-line HR system called Success Factors, which will be available once developed. If you would like to arrange a training session for your department, please contact Margaret Tsilis at 487-3328. Participation is mandatory to attend one of the training sessions or complete on-line (once developed). No pre-registration is required. Additional dates will be announced. If you have any questions regarding privacy training, please contact Steve LaChance at 487-1490, or Andrea Jaeckel at 487-3328.
* FREE INCOME TAX PREPARATION: Do you need your income taxes prepared? Let IRS certified EMU students from the Accounting Club and Beta Alpha Psi help you for FREE. This Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA) provides tax preparation to students and taxpayers with a total annual income of $51,000 or less. Tax preparations will be done on a first-come, first-serve basis. Location and dates are as follows:
Saturday, Feb. 16, Mar. 16 and Mar. 23, 10 a.m. - 6 p.m., in room 227 & 228, in the College of Business.
Saturday, Apr. 6 and Apr. 13, 10 a.m. - 6 p.m., in room 320, in the Student Center.
You will need to bring the following items:
- A Picture ID with Birth Date
- Social Security Card(s) for all people being claimed by you, or a Social Security Number Verification Letter issued by Social Security Administration for all people being claimed by you or a Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) Assignment Letter(s)
- Wage and Earning Statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from All Employers, 1098-T (for students)
- Interest and Dividend Statements from Banks (Forms 1099)
- A Copy of Last Year's Federal and State Returns (if available)
- Proof of Bank Account Routing & Account Number (such as a blank check) for Direct Deposit (if desired)
- Total Paid for Daycare and the Provider's Business Employer Identification Number or the Provider's Social Security Number
Contact David Teague at firstname.lastname@example.org or Evan Scarbrough at email@example.com with questions.
* MAGIC PROGRAM SEEKS FACULTY & STAFF MENTORS: Mentorship Access and Guidance In College (MAGIC) is seeking mentors to support foster care alumni who are attending EMU. MAGIC is searching for caring and committed EMU faculty and staff members who are interested in a becoming a mentor to students participants. Mentoring with the MAGIC program will provide an excellent opportunity for community service and engaging with EMU students. Potential mentors should be able to:
- complete the MAGIC mentorship training
- commit to 6 months of mentorship
- be able to spend 4 hours per month with their mentee
- pass a criminal background check
Interested applicants should complete a MAGIC mentor application which can be found on our website at MAGIC homepage. Contact the MAGIC staff with any questions at 487-0899 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FACULTY AND STAFF ACADEMIC ADVISOR DEVELOPMENT SESSION: The University Advising & Career Development Center will offer Module 4: Academic College, today, Feb. 15 from 9 a.m. - 4 p.m., in Room 310, Porter. The program is designed for faculty and staff that provide undergraduate advising to EMU students. Space is limited, so please RSVP by contacting Molly Weir at 487-2171 or email at email@example.com.
TRAINING SESSION ON PRIVACY ISSUES: A privacy training session will be offered today, Feb. 15, from 10 - 11 a.m., in the Halle Library Auditorium. The training session is mandatory for all faculty and staff. Other sessions for the month of February are listed in the Special Notices section. No pre-registration is required. If you have any questions regarding privacy training, please contact Steve LaChance at 487-1490, or Andrea Jaeckel at 487-3328.
JUSTICE FOR JULIA SCHOLARSHIP FUNDRAISING EVENT: The family of Julia Niswender have established a scholarship in Julia's name. They will be selling T-shirts, bracelets, ribbons, and zebra scarfs today, Feb. 15, from 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. and Saturday, Feb. 16, from 11 a.m. - 3 p.m. in the first floor of the Student Center. All proceeds will go the scholarship fund. Donations will be accepted during the event. The Julia Niswender fund, which is also being called the "Justice for Julia" fund, is set-up through Monroe Bank and Trust. Donations can also be sent to the bank at 102 E. Front Street, Monroe Charter Township, MI 48161.
EMU FOUNDATION BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING: The Eastern Michigan University Foundation Board of Trustees will meet today, Feb. 15, at 1:00 p.m., in Room 310AB in the Student Center. The public is welcome to attend. For information, call Maria Cyars, 481-2304 or email at mcyars@emichedu.
GRADUATE COUNCIL MEETING: A Graduate Council meeting will be held today, Feb. 15, from 2:15 - 4 p.m., in Room 300,in Halle Library. Contact Susan Anderson at 487-0042 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
PLANNED COMPUTING SYSTEM DOWNTIME: Monthly maintenance of EMU's computing systems will be performed tonight, Feb. 15, from 6 p.m. to midnight. During this month's maintenance program, the following major computer systems will be unavailable:VOIP Phones
- My.emich (including self-service faculty, student and employee tabs)
- Clean Address
- Mailing Lists
- FormFusion and Intellicheck
- it.emich.edu and it's applications
- Linguist List
- Red Lantern
- Resource 25
- IT Custom Webapps
- Service Desk Express
- Library Catalog and Image Database
All other systems and services remain AVAILABLE including:
• Wired and Wireless Internet Access (residence halls, offices, and classrooms)
- EMU-Online course management system ( http://emuonline.edu )
- Online Hiring System ( www.emujobs.com )
- EagleMail (mail.emich.edu)
All planned maintenance for major EMU systems is scheduled in conjunction with the ERP-Business Operations Committee (BOC). The BOC includes representation from various campus units and Faculty Senate. Please contact the Help Desk at 487-2120 or email@example.com if you have any questions about this scheduled downtime. We appreciate your patience during this important and required system outage.
URINETOWN: THE MUSICAL PREMIERS AT QUIRK THEATRE: EMU Theatre is ready to warm up your winter with the award-winning musical comedy, "Urinetown: The Musical." Directed by Pirooz Aghssa, with musical direction by Howard Cass, Urinetown: The Musical opens tonight, Feb. 15, at 7 p.m., in Quirk Theatre. For other dates and more information, go to Urinetown Musical. For ticket information, visit: emutix.com.
SUBMISSIONS TO EMU TODAY: Please note, EMU TODAY is a internal daily e-blast sent to faculty and staff only. To submit an announcement or post an event, please forward your entry electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to format your entry with a title and include a description of the event, where the event will be held (room and building), the date and time, and a contact name, phone number and/or e-mail address. For questions, contact Debra Johnson at 487-2484.
NOTE: An asterisk denotes a new item.