JONES-GODDARD DRIVE LANE CLOSURE: Due to utility tunnel repair work, Jones-Goddard Drive will be reduced to one lane for most of next week and into the first half of the week beginning March 10.
* EAGLEMAIL OFFLINE FOR MAINTENANCE: EagleMail will be taken offline for up to 30 minutes beginning at 10 p.m. on Saturday, March 9 to allow the hosting provider to complete routine software maintenance.
* TESTING OF THE OUTDOOR EMERGENCY SYSTEM: The EMU Department of Public Safety will be conducting extended testing of the outdoor and in-building speakers on Friday, March 8, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. The test message/tone will run for 3-5 minutes during each of the 6-7 scheduled test sets. The message and tone will run in all building and all outdoor speakers for each test. If you have any questions regarding the test process, please contact the Emergency Management Office at 487-0799.
GET YOUR TICKETS FOR TEDxEMU: TEDxEMU tickets can now be purchased at emutix.com and at any EMU ticket office. Tickets are $10 (which includes admission, continental breakfast, and lunch). Anyone with an EMU ID can have the ticket fee waived at a ticket office. No online waivers. Live presentations will take place Friday, March 15 at Eastern Michigan University's Quirk Theatre. TEDx was created in the spirit of TED's mission, "ideas worth spreading." The program is designed to give communities, organizations and individuals the opportunity to stimulate dialogue through TED-like experiences at the local level. At TEDx events, live presenters and performers spark deep conversation and connections.
TEDx events are fully planned and coordinated independently on a community-by-community basis. Each TEDx event's content and design are unique and developed independently, but all events have several common features - TED's celebrated format: A suite of short, carefully prepared talks, demonstrations and performances on a wide range of subjects to foster learning, inspiration and wonder - and to provoke conversations that matter. For more information visit TEDxEMU.com, find them on Facebook at fb.me/TEDxEMU or follow them @OfficialTEDxEMU.
TRAINING SESSIONS ON PRIVACY ISSUES: To ensure that Eastern and its faculty and staff are in compliance/legal and regulatory requirement related to privacy issues, a new training session has been developed by the Office of Business and Finance. The privacy training, which is mandatory for all faculty and staff, is offered on several different dates and times in and effort to accommodate schedules, and will also be offered in an online format. Faculty and staff can attend any of the sessions listed below:
- Thursday, March 14, 9 - 10 a.m., Halle Auditorium
- Thursday, March 28, 1 - 2 p.m., Halle Auditorium
- Monday, April 8, 11 - Noon, Halle Auditorium
Based on these sessions, a program will be developed for the on-line HR system called Success Factors. If you would like to arrange a training session for your department, please contact Margaret Tsilis at 487-3328. Participation is mandatory to attend one of the training sessions or to complete on-line (once developed). Additional dates will be announced. If you have any questions regarding privacy training, contact Steve LaChance at 487-1490 or Andrea Jaeckel at 487-3328.
PLANNED COMPUTING SYSTEM DOWNTIME: There will be a planned computing system downtime Friday, March 8, 6 p.m. to midnight. Monthly maintenance of EMU's computing systems is routinely performed on a Friday evening from 6 p.m. to midnight. During this month's maintenance program, the following major computer systems will be unavailable:
- My.emich (including self-service faculty, student and employee tabs)
- Mailing Lists
- IT Custom Webapps
- Linguist List
- Red Lantern
- Resource 25
- IT Custom Webapps
- Service Desk Express
- Library Image Database
- Library Online Database Access / Library Intranet
- EMU UNIX student/faculty server
- Student and Mathematic Project Servers
All other systems and services remain AVAILABLE including:
- Wired and Wireless Internet Access (residence halls, offices, and classrooms)
- EMU-Online course management system ( http://emuonline.edu )
- Online Hiring System ( www.emujobs.com )
- EagleMail (mail.emich.edu)
All planned maintenance for major EMU systems is scheduled in conjunction with the ERP-Business Operations Committee (BOC). The BOC includes representation from various campus units and Faculty Senate. Please contact the Help Desk at 487-2120 or email@example.com if you have any questions about this scheduled downtime. We appreciate your patience during this important and required system outage.
FREE PASSPORT SERVICES: The College of Arts and Sciences now has a "passport" office, located in Room 427B, in Pray-Harrold. The staff will help the campus community with both first time applications or renewals, and take the required photos. This is a free service, courtesy of the Dean's office. This semester, the walk-in hours are Tuesdays and Thursdays, 12 - 3 p.m. or by appointment. To make an appointment, contact Elisabeth Morgan, professor of ESL/TESOL and director of international initiatives, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ORTHOTICS & PROSTHETICS SEEKS VOLUNTEER MODELS: The orthotics & prosthetics program need amputee patient models to aid in student education. Patients visit classes and help demonstrate casting and fitting techniques. This hands-on experience is extremely beneficial for students to develop these skills. Compensation is provided. If interested, please contact Katie Wellman at 419-953-7768.
REQUIRED SAFETY AWARENESS, HAZARD COMMUNICATION TRAINING: Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) will be conducting safety awareness & hazard communication training over the next four months. This is required for all EMU employees who have not yet taken this training and for those who may need a refresher. It is open to all employees and student employees, and provides information on the safety systems, practices and expectations to maintain a safe campus community. Available sessions are:
- Friday March 8, 1- 2:30 p.m., in Room 300, Halle Library
- Friday April 12, 1- 2:30 p.m., in Room 302, Halle Library
- Friday May 10, 1- 2:30 p.m., in Room 302, Halle Library
- Friday June 14, 1- 2:30 p.m., in Room 302, Halle Library
To register, contact EHS at 487-0794 or email at email@example.com.
SUBMISSIONS TO EMU TODAY: Please note, EMU TODAY is a internal daily e-blast sent to faculty and staff only. To submit an announcement or post an event, please forward your entry electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to format your entry with a title and include a description of the event, where the event will be held (room and building), the date and time, and a contact name, phone number and/or e-mail address. For questions, contact Debra Johnson at 487-2484.
NOTE: An asterisk denotes a new item.