Lectures & Presentations
CORNELL UNIVERSITY PROFESSOR TO SPEAK ON SUSTAINABLE TECHNOLOGIES AND INNOVATION: Professor Stuart Hart of Cornell University will speak on "Sustainable Technologies and Innovation" on Thursday, April 4, 6:30 p.m. - 8 p.m., in room 1, Sill Hall. Dr. Hart is an internationally recognized speaker who has delivered hundreds of keynote addresses on the topic of sustainable business around the world. He has authored or edited seven books, and his best-selling book, Capitalism at the Crossroads, was selected by Cambridge University as one of the 50 top books on sustainability of all-time. His 1995 article, "A Natural Resource-Based View of the Firm," is the most highly cited academic work in the field of sustainable enterprise. In addition, he wrote the seminal article, "Beyond Greening: Strategies for a Sustainable World," which won the McKinsey Award for Best Article in the Harvard Business Review in 1997, and helped launch the movement for corporate sustainability. LBC credit approved. This event is free and open to the public.
DISSERTATION ORAL DEFENSE: Daniela Todorova, of the College of Technology will present her dissertation on "Exploring Lean Implementation Success Factors in Job Shop, Batch Shop, and Assembly Line Manufacturing Settings" on Thursday, April 11, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Room 206, Sill Hall.
* DISSERTATION ORAL DEFENSE: Zina Eluri, from the Psychology Department will present her oral dissertation on "Social Facilitation of Polydipsia as an Animal Model of Compulsive Behavior" on Friday, April 12, at 9 a.m., in room 327, Mark Jefferson Science Complex. For questions, please contact Catherine Hassett at 487-2254 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
GRADUATE COUNCIL MEETING: A Graduate Council meeting will be held Friday, April 12, from 2:15 - 4 p.m., in Room 300, Halle Library. Please contact Susan Anderson at 487-0042 or email at email@example.com with questions.
FORUM ON PRIVATIZATION OF PRISONS: EMU is pleased to host the forum "Statewide Forum on Privatization of Prisons, Mass Incarceration and Prison Reform in Michigan" on Saturday, April 13, from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., in the Student Center Auditorium. The purpose of this forum is to bring together elected officials, community leaders and activists to:
- Educate our community about private prisons and the companies that build them;
- Examine legislation that governs and develops policy for our state prisons and judicial system; and
- Explore best practices to address mass incarceration, the school-to-prison pipeline, prison reform and their impact on the local community.
State Representative Fred Durhal, Jr. who represents District 5 (Detroit) will be the keynote speaker. He is one of 5 state legislators scheduled to participate. Paul Leighton, EMU Professor will give a synopsis of the issues we will discuss before the first panel. All faculty and staff who work with at-risk populations are encouraged to attend. Registration is required. The event is free. Please go to www.prisonconference2013.eventbrite.com to register. If you have any questions, contact Reggie Barnes at 487-6790 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Sponsored by the Diversity and Community Involvement at EMU and The Washtenaw County Democratic Party Black Caucus, the Public Action Committee for Justice and the Michigan Black Caucus - Local Elected Officials.
DISSERTATION ORAL DEFENSE: Syed Naqvi, of the College of Technology will present his dissertation on "The Role of Indian Subcontinent Worker's Culture and Religion in 5S Implementation in the US Manufacturing Industry" on Monday, April 15, Room 206, Sill Hall.
BOARD OF REGENTS MEETING: The EMU Board of Regents will hold its April board meeting on Tuesday, April 16, at 1:30 p.m., in Room 201, Welch Hall. Below is the schedule for the committee meetings. All meetings are in Welch Hall.
- Educational Policies: 8:30 - 9:15 a.m., Room 205
- Athletic Affairs: 8:30 - 9:15 a.m., Room 201
- Faculty Affairs: 9:30 - 10:15 a.m., Room 205
- Student Affairs: 10:30 - 11:15 a.m., Room 201
- Finance, Audit and Investment: 11:30 - 12:15 p.m., Room 201
EMU FOUNDATION BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING: The Eastern Michigan University Foundation Board of Trustees will meet Friday, May 10, at 1:00 p.m., at the Eagle Crest Golf Clubhouse. The public is welcome to attend. For information, call Maria Cyars, 481-2304 or email at mcyars@emichedu.