* TEST OF THE INDOOR AND OUTDOOR SPEAKERS ON CAMPUS: The EMU Department of Public Safety will be conducting a test of all of the campus outdoor speakers, along with the in-building speakers for Pray-Harrold and Alexander, at noon on Friday, July 31. The test message will run for approximately two minutes.
If you have any questions regarding the testing or other emergency management issues, please contact the Emergency Management Office at 487-0799 or visit the Public Safety website.
EMU Emergency Text Alerts: Every member of the University community is strongly encouraged to sign up for this free service. Sign up at Emergency Text Alerts.
Emergency Response Procedures: The EMU Emergency Response Procedures provide guidance on actions to take for identified emergency situations. It is available on line at Public Safety Procedures homepage.
PLANNED NETWORK DOWNTIME: Maintenance of EMU's wireless (WiFi) network and wired network is scheduled for Friday, July 31, beginning at 6 p.m. and completing by midnight. During this maintenance, all campus buildings will experience network service interruptions of approximately 1-4 hours. Computing systems hosted at EMU will be sporadically unavailable during this outage. The following services are affected:
• WiFi / Wireless Network - all buildings - WiFi services will be unavailable for up to four hours during the window.
• Wired Network - Network equipment configuration updates will occur for the following buildings, interrupting services for one hour or less per building. Buildings that will experience a service disruption during this outage include:
- Greenhouse (Outage for this building may be up to two hours)
- Parking Structure
- Public Safety
This maintenance is expected to be complete by 10 p.m., however, the full window is reserved in case issues emerge during the work. This maintenance is scheduled for this date and time to minimize impact on students, faculty and their access to campus services. Please plan to schedule work around these outages.
For a full list of all systems affected, please visit IT’s system outage page. Although network maintenance may disrupt access to these services, all other systems and services remain online and will be available as network service is restored:
- My.emich self-service faculty, student and employee tabs
- EMU-Online course management system ( http://emuonline.edu )
- Online Hiring System ( www.emich.edu/jobs )
- EagleMail (available at https://mail.emich.edu/)
- Google Apps (http://google.emich.edu)
Please contact the Help Desk at 487-2120 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about this scheduled downtime. We appreciate your patience during this important and required system outage.
SNOW HEALTH CENTER PHARMACY WILL BE CLOSED AUG. 3-7: The Snow Pharmacy will be closed Monday, Aug. 3 - Friday, Aug. 7. Please plan around this closure period for your prescription needs. Contact Jerry Vidis at 487-1125 or at email@example.com or email the pharmacy at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
ESP TRAINING: Is your SmartPhone secure? Is your phone configured so that you could locate it if lost or stolen? Is your phone configured to connect to EMU Secure Wireless? Do you have a passcode set to prevent a thief from quickly accessing your photos and information? To learn steps to secure your mobile device, sign up for an Eagle Security Package (ESP) session. In a 2 hour training session you will install and be trained on EMU provided software, Duo (2-factor authentication) and LastPass (encrypted password vault). You’ll also receive advice on other ways you can keep your data secure. Sign up for a session at: http://emu-esp.eventbrite.com/. Questions or concerns may be directed to Rocky Jenkins at email@example.com or 487-3145.
ADD AN EVENT TO THE EMU EVENT CALENDAR: To submit an event to be posted on the EMU event calendar, click on Submit an Event, or go to the EMU homepage, click on "calendars," then click the green button labeled "Submit an Event" (located on the bottom left) and enter your event information. All events are subject to approval.
SUBMISSIONS IN EMU TODAY: Please note, EMU TODAY is an internal daily e-blast sent to faculty and staff. To submit an announcement or post an event, please forward your entry electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to format your entry with a title and include a description of the event, where the event will be held (room and building), the date and time, and a contact name, phone number and/or e-mail address. For questions, contact Debra Johnson at 487-2484 or email at email@example.com.
NOTE: An asterisk denotes a new item.
Lectures & Presentations
* BROADEN YOUR PASSION! WOMEN IN STEM TALK: Come join internationally known STEM expert Barbara Oakley, Oakland University, for an informal session on encouraging women to pursue Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics fields on Tuesday, Aug. 4 at 1 pm. in room 352 in the Student Center. Faculty, staff, students and community are welcome. Make your own strawberry shortcake bar will be provided for dessert.
RESUME REVIEW DROP-IN: Faculty and staff are encouraged to let their students know about the Resume Review Drop-in to help students with their resume, cover letters or personal statement. Students can drop-in to the event in room 202 in Halle Library between 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. on the following dates:
- Thursday, July 30
- Monday, Aug. 3
For questions or more information, call 487-0400.
Activities and Events
RETIREMENT CELEBRATION FOR GAIL LOBBESTAEL: The College of Education invites the campus community to celebrate Gail Lobbestael’s retirement on Wednesday, Aug. 5, from 3 - 5 p.m. in room 300 Student Center. Refreshments will be served.
Arts, Film & Entertainment
THE GALA OF THE ROYAL HORSES: The Gala of The Royal Horses world-renowned equestrian tour is coming to EMU’s Convocation Center on Friday, July 31 at 7 p.m. The Gala of the Royal Horses is a spectacular entertainment event combining the most beautiful horses in the world with live performers creating a breathtaking event for the entire family. This event is a “must see” for horse lovers and families. Tickets start at $35 and there are a limited number of VIP seats available. Tickets are available at Venue Box Office, online at EMUtix.com or call the EMU Ticket Office at 487-2282. Additional facility fees, service charges and/or taxes may be included in (or added) to ticket prices.
TOBYMAC AT THE EMU CONVOCATION CENTER: Five-time Grammy winner TobyMac will perform his “THIS IS NOT A TEST” tour on Thursday, Oct. 15 at the Convocation Center. Also featuring Britt Nicole, Colton Dixon and introducing Hollyn. Tickets are $75, $47, $33 and $20 (plus applicable service charges). Tickets can be purchased at any EMU Ticket Office location, at EMUtix.com or by phone at 487-2282. Groups of 15+ can save $10 off the $36 ticket and receive 2 additional tickets. For more information, visit EMUtix.com or call the EMU Ticket Office at 487-2282.
ALL TIME LOW AND SLEEPING WITH SIRENS COMING TO THE EMU CONVOCATION CENTER: All Time Low and Sleeping with Sirens will perform at the EMU Convocation Center on Friday, Nov. 6. Doors open at 6 p.m. One OK Rock will kickoff the show. Tickets go on sale Saturday, July 11 at 10 a.m. online at www.EMUtix.com, by phone at 487-2282 or in person at any EMU Ticket Office.
GO EMU EAGLES: Please visit the EMU Athletics homepage for more information about all Eagles athletic games, schedules, rosters and much more. For ticket information, go to EMU Tickets or call the ticket office at 487-2282.
EMU CAMPUS DIRECTORY FOR STUDENTS, FACULTY AND STAFF: The directory is touch compatible and features a responsive design for optimized display and functionality on desktop, tablet or mobile devices. Users can search for students, faculty or staff via a single search box with results being cleanly displayed in expandable/collapsible rows. The new campus directory can be accessed directly at www.emich.edu/directory or by using the single search box at the top of any EMU webpage. For more details, please read the press release about the new EMU Campus Directory. Please contact Darcy Gifford at 487-5375 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
PERSONAL DIRECTORY CORRECTIONS/UPDATES: Personal Directory listings are populated through the Banner system. To check your personal listing for accuracy, please visit http://it.emich.edu/service/online/directory/index.cfm?fuseaction=main. If a listing needs to be updated, an employee’s supervisor should update the information through a link located on the supervisor’s My.Emich Employee tab. Instructions are as follows:
- Visit My.emich.edu
- Click on the Employee tab
- Click on the Employee link below the row of tabs
- Click on the Update Employee Campus Address link. You will then see a table of your direct reports. To edit, click on the EID or Phone links to edit. Once you have completed your edits, click the Submit button. NOTE: it may take up to 24 hours for your change to take effect.
For non-supervisory staff, alternate update methods are explained on the Directory Information Updates page at https://www.emich.edu/it/services/directoryupdates.php.
EMU ONLINE DEPARTMENT DIRECTORY CORRECTIONS: Please take the time to check your department directory listing at http://www.emich.edu/telephones/ for accuracy. If the information needs to be updated, please send the information to: email@example.com. For questions, contact Debra Burke at 487-6895 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
EMU PUBLIC SAFETY TIPS AND REMINDERS: The EMU Police Department provides a variety of community service programs focused on safety awareness for our residential halls, classrooms and campus. These include crime prevention seminars, and training sessions and programs on sexual assault and alcohol awareness for faculty, staff and students.
The EMU Police Department use high visibility foot patrols, mobile patrols, bicycle patrols and an extensive video monitoring system to help deter crime. It is important to report crimes or suspicious activities immediately -- police have a better opportunity to apprehend suspects and solve crimes. Please review the information below and report any crimes or any suspicious activities. Reporting a crime or suspicious activity can be done anonymously.
- To report an incident, or information anonymously, please call 487-4847 or send an email to email@example.com.
- Call Crime Stoppers at (800) SPEAKUP (800) 773-2587 or email at www.1800speakup.org or visit the Crime Stoppers homepage.
- For more information on public safety, please visit the EMU Public Safety Tips homepage.
- EMU publishes a Daily Crime Log of all crimes reported to the EMU Department of Public Safety. This information can be viewed at EMU Daily Crime Log homepage. EMU also publishes the Daily Crime Log for the City of Ypsilanti.
- Online, real-time crime mapping covering EMU and the City of Ypsilanti is available at: http://geodata.acad.emich.edu/Crime/Main.htm.
Telephone numbers and email accounts listed above are set-up specifically for those who wish to report a crime or information related to a crime. Your identity will remain anonymous.
For questions pertaining to EMU Safety Tips or crime prevention, please contact Police Officer Candace Dorsey, Crime Prevention Coordinator at 487-0987 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Crime Prevention office is located within the EMU Police Department at 1200 Oakwood Street. Police Dispatch at 487-1222. For emergencies, call 911.
SEARCH SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITIES:To find out about current scholarship opportunities, go to search scholarships.