* EMU REVEALS NEW GRAY FIELD TURF AT THE FACTORY: The EMU Department of Athletics invites fans to come catch a glimpse of EMU's new gray field turf surface that will be featured at the Factory inside Rynearson Stadium for the 2014 campaign. Eastern will welcome students, alumni, fans and any other individuals wishing to catch a view of the stadium's updated playing surface on Sunday, Aug. 3, at 5:30 p.m., at Rynearson Stadium, just prior to the opening of the 2014 football team's preseason camp.
For the first half hour, fans can gather at gate one and mingle for a silent auction and appetizers before EMU Head Football Coach Chris Creighton will talk about the Factory and what the installation of the new turf represents for the program prior to the big reveal. Following the reveal, fans will be welcomed to enjoy food and drink until 7 p.m., however, the real treat will be that Eastern Michigan fans will be able to take the field and become a part of history as they will be the first-ever to walk on a gray turf football field.
Admission to the event will cost $10 for adults and $5 for children under 12. Individuals are urged to RSVP by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, Aug. 1. The event will be a cash bar and if weather should become inclement, the party will resume inside the atrium of the Convocation Center.
* TAKE A STAND AGAINST DOMESTIC VIOLENCE: There have been many stories in the news lately about sexual assault and domestic violence in our communities, from University campuses and sports teams to the world of business. Imagine a day when every father, brother, husband, friend, son, partner, community member and decision maker says with conviction, "It won't happen here."
Join other EMU colleagues and make your voices heard by standing together against domestic violence and support SafeHouse Center by joining the “Men Taking a Stand” campaign. Deadline is Friday, Aug. 15. Simply complete the registration form and then return the completed form to SafeHouse Center along with your donation of $100 or more. For more information, please visit http://safehousecenter.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=482cff19d2ec0a9e82b1fdc67&id=f9c046737c&e=71df9f1831
PLANNED COMPUTING SYSTEM DOWNTIME: Monthly maintenance of EMU's computing systems will be performed on Friday, Aug. 1 from 6 p.m. to midnight. During this month’s maintenance program, the following major computer systems will be unavailable:
- Banner Self-Service (faculty, student and employee tabs in my.emich)
- EagleMail (mail.emich.edu) - PLEASE NOTE LONGER OUTAGE FOR THIS SYSTEM FROM 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.
For a full list of all systems affected please visit IT’s system outage page: http://it.emich.edu/portal/systems/index.cfm?fuseaction=all
All other systems and services remain AVAILABLE including:
- Wired and Wireless Internet Access (residence halls, offices, and classrooms)
- EMU-Online course management system (http://emuonline.edu)
- Online Hiring System (http://www.emich.edu/jobs)
- Google Apps (http://google.emich.edu)
All planned maintenance for major EMU systems is scheduled in conjunction with the ERP-Business Operations Committee (BOC). The BOC includes representation from various campus units and Faculty Senate. Please contact the Help Desk at (734) 487-2120 or email@example.com if you have any questions about this scheduled downtime. We appreciate your patience during this important and required system outage.
FREE PASSPORT APPLICATION AND PHOTO SERVICES: The College of Arts and Sciences now has a "passport" office, located in room 103D Boone Hall. The staff will help the campus community with both first time applications or renewals, and take the required photos. This is a free service, courtesy of the Dean's office. To make an appointment, contact Elisabeth Morgan, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 487-3389.
HURRY - SUMMER CLEARANCE SALE ENDS SOON AT EMU BOOKSTORE: Visit the EMU Bookstore's Summer Clearance Event and take advantage of the in-store sale of a additional 30% off already reduced merchandise now through Friday, August 1. Shop online clearance specials now through Sunday, August 3.
UPDATED RESIDENTIAL AND COMMUTER DINING PLANS: EMU Dining Services has updated their Residential and Commuter Dining Plans effective as of the Fall 2014 semester. These updated plans can be found at www.emich.edu/dining. If you would like to enjoy the savings and convenience of the dining plans including the All-You-Care-to-Eat Facility, The Commons or 10% bonus funds, stop by the Housing and Residence Life Office to signup.
POWERPOINT PRESENTATION AND VIDEO FROM BUDGET FORUM: The PowerPoint presentation and video from the budget forum conducted on June 11, by President Martin and CFO John Lumm can be viewed at: http://www.emich.edu/busfin/budgetforums.php.
CAMPUS SAFETY AWARENESS & HAZARD COMMUNICATION TRAINING: All new employees of the University are required to attend one of the Safety Awareness & Hazard Communication training sessions presented by the EMU Environmental Health Safety (EHS). Training sessions have been scheduled for the following dates:
- Thursday, Aug. 21, 1:30 - 3 p.m., room 300, Halle Library
- Tuesday, Sept. 16, 5:30 - 7 p.m., room 300, Halle Library
- Monday, Sept. 22, 1:30 - 3 p.m., room 300, Halle Library
- Tuesday, Oct. 14, 10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m., room 300, Halle Library
- Wednesday, Oct. 29, 5:30 - 7 p.m., room 300, Halle Library
- Tuesday, Nov. 11, 1:30 - 3 p.m., room 300, Halle Library
- Friday, Dec. 5, 10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m., room 300, Halle Library
Please register at email@example.com or call 487-0794.
SUBMISSIONS IN EMU TODAY: Please note, EMU TODAY is an internal daily e-blast sent to faculty and staff. To submit an announcement or post an event, please forward your entry electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to format your entry with a title and include a description of the event, where the event will be held (room and building), the date and time, and a contact name, phone number and/or e-mail address. For questions, contact Debra Johnson at 487-2484.
NOTE: An asterisk denotes a new item.
Activities and Events
EAT AT JOE'S CRAB SHACK AND SUPPORT THE EMU AUTISM COLLABORATIVE CENTER: Come out and support the EMU Autism Collaborative Center (ACC) by eating at Joe's Crab Shack, located at 3020 Lohr Rd, Ann Arbor on Thursday, July 31, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. and a percentage of all purchases (with promotional flyer) will go to the ACC. You must present the flyer at the time of service. To print the flyer, please go to: www.accemu.org. Plan a meal out with your family or friends and support the ACC.
RETIREMENT RECEPTION FOR CHERYL GUERRA: Extended Programs is hosting a retirement reception for Cheryl Guerra, who has worked for the University for 28 years. Cheryl has been with Academic Programs Abroad for the past 17 years. Please join us on Monday, August 4, 3 - 6 p.m., room 300 in the Student Center. Presentations will be made at 4 p.m. Please RSVP to Kathy Graham at email@example.com or call 487-0427.
DIGITAL INCLUSION SUMMER CAMP: Middle and high school students can step out and explore a new interest in a fun and relaxed environment. EMU Faculty and staff will be on hand to ignite imaginations and teach basics in subjects such as science and technology during a Summer camp program that runs Monday, Aug. 4 through Friday, Aug. 7. The camp is open to middle school and high school students. The cost is $200, and for an additional $50 equipment fee, you can build and take home your own desktop computer.
Get hands-on experience rebuilding computers and learn about computer hardware and its purpose, how to troubleshoot hardware issues and install hardware components. Get the scoop on operating systems, updates and drivers, security and troubleshooting. We'll mainly focus on PC systems and touch on Mac systems. This camp has a session for middle school students and a separate session for high school students.
Some of the things you'll learn:
- Data cleaning and wiping
- Understanding the relationships of hardware and software
- Troubleshooting hardware and software
- Customer Service
- Inventory accountability and control
- Peer-to-peer training opportunities
- Community outreach and engagement
This camp is sponsored by the Digital Inclusion (DI) program. To register, please visit http://www.emich.edu/summercamps/. For more information, please contact Bia Hamed at 487-0407 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
EMU FOOTBALL HOSTS INAUGURAL YOUTH DAY: EMU employees are invited to bring their children to the EMU football team's inaugural Youth Day on Saturday, August 16, from 12 - 1:30 p.m. inside Rynearson Stadium. Youth Day is designed for children from kindergarten through sixth grade. The event is open the public and there is no admission charge. Further details can be found at http://www.emueagles.com/news/2014/7/18/FB_0718143516.aspx?path=football. For questions about Eastern Michigan Football Youth Day, please contact the EMU Football Office at 487-2160.
EMU WOMEN’S BASKETBALL SUMMER CAMPS: EMU Women’s Basketball will hold several basketball camps for girls and boys this summer. The goal of the camps is to improve the individual basketball skills and teach the techniques in a fun environment. Campers are grouped according to age and skill level. Camps are open to the public. Below are the camps and a brief description:
- JUNIOR EAGLES CAMP: Monday, Aug. 11 - Friday, Aug. 15: (Grades: 1st - 8th). A week-long basketball camp designed for both girls and boys with all skills in mind, from beginners to someone who is highly advanced. Focus will be on each individual getting the most out of the camp experience and specialized instruction. Lots of fun and and lots of reps! Camp shirt and ball included. Fee: *$225 (per session). * A discount will be applied for children of current EMU faculty and staff of $40 off the normal camp fee. Enter the discount code: EMUFS14 during online registration. Verification of employment will be required. The camp will be held at the Saline Middle School, Saline, MI.
- ELITE SKILLS CAMP: Saturday, Aug. 9: (Grades 9th - 12th). Elite Camp is a one-day camp for girls only designed for the committed basketball player who wants to improve their fundamentals and advance their skills to prepare themselves for varsity, college and beyond. Members of the EMU coaching staff will instruct and focus on developing skills both offensively and defensively. Space is limited for this camp. Fee: $75 (Lunch provided). The camp will be held at the EMU Convocation Center, Ypsilanti, MI.
To register for any of the camps, please go to www.emueagles.com/camps. Walk-ups are welcomed. Please call (734) 487-0481 for further information or additional questions.
GO EMU EAGLES: Please visit the EMU Athletics homepage for more information about all Eagles athletic games, schedules, rosters and much more. For ticket information, go to EMU Tickets or call the ticket office at 487-2282. All football games will be broadcasted live on WEMU 89.1.
- EMU vs. Morgan State, Saturday, Aug. 30, TBA, Rynearson Stadium
- EMU vs. Buffalo, Saturday, Oct. 11, TBA, Rynearson Stadium
- EMU vs. Northern Illinois, Saturday, Oct. 25, TBA, Rynearson Stadium
- EMU vs. Central Michigan, Saturday, Nov. 1, TBA, Rynearson Stadium
- EMU vs. Toledo, Friday, Nov. 28, TBA Rynearson Stadium
KING CHAVEZ PARKS FUTURE FACULTY FELLOWSHIP: The King Chavez Parks (KCP) Future Faculty Fellowship is now accepting applications for its 2014-15 cohort. The application deadline is Saturday, Nov. 1. The purpose of KCP Fellowship is to increase the pool of traditionally underrepresented candidates pursuing careers in post-secondary education and subsequently promote exclusivity and diversity in U.S. colleges and universities by providing funding to support individuals pursuing masters and doctoral degrees. Applications from minorities, women, people with disabilities, and individuals from cultural, linguistic, geographic, and socioeconomic backgrounds who would otherwise not adequately be represented in the graduate student and faculty populations are encouraged to apply. For more information, please visit: http://www.emich.edu/graduate/admissions/financialassistance/kcp.php. The 2014-15 KCP Fellowship application can be found at http://goo.gl/Z31j07. Contact: Jessica 'Decky' Alexander at email@example.com for questions.
WOMEN IN PHILANTHROPY GRANT APPLICATIONS DEADLINE: Women in Philanthropy at EMU will be accepting grant applications through Sunday, October 12 for the 2014 grant year. Faculty, students, staff and alumni are eligible to apply for up to $5,000 for research or project support. Applications must be submitted using the online template on the WIP-EMU website at http://www.emich.edu/wip-emu. For assistance, check the application guidelines on the website or contact Kelly Quilter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SUPPORT EMU STUDENT SCHOLARSHIPS BY BUYING AN "E" LICENSE PLATE: This valuable program allows the Alumni Association to help children of EMU alumni attend Eastern, achieve their dreams and continue the EMU legacy. As you renew your license plate, please consider supporting deserving students by purchasing an “E” plate. The plates cost $35 above the annual vehicle registration fee for a regular plate, with $25 of that fee going directly to the program. If you already have an “E” plate… don’t forget to specify on your renewal form that you want to keep it. The renewal fee is only $10 above the regular registration fee, with that $10 going directly to the program. It’s a great way to show your pride in Eastern and promote EMU in the community. To order your “E” plate, visit http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-127-1585_1595_9026-20400--,00.html.
DEPARTMENT DIRECTORY UPDATES: If your Department Directory listing is not accurate, please send the updated information to: email@example.com. For questions, contact Debra Burke at 487-6895 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that personal directory listings are populated by Banner and supervisors may change staff information in my.emich on the employee tab.
POST AN EVENT TO THE EVENTS CALENDAR: To submit a new event, click on Submit an Event, or go to the EMU homepage, then click on "calendars," then click the green button labeled "Submit an Event" (located on the bottom left) and enter your event information. If you need help or have questions, please contact Debra Johnson at email@example.com or call 487-2484. All events are subject to approval.
EMU PUBLIC SAFETY TIPS AND REMINDERS: The EMU Police Department provides a variety of community service programs focused on safety awareness for our residential halls, classrooms and campus. These include crime prevention seminars, and training sessions and programs on sexual assault and alcohol awareness for faculty, staff and students.
The EMU Police Department use high visibility foot patrols, mobile patrols, bicycle patrols and an extensive video monitoring system to help deter crime. It is important to report crimes or suspicious activities immediately -- police have a better opportunity to apprehend suspects and solve crimes. Please review the information below and report any crimes or any suspicious activities. Reporting a crime or suspicious activity can be done anonymously.
- To report an incident, or information anonymously, please call 487-4847 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Call Crime Stoppers at (800) SPEAKUP (800) 773-2587 or email at www.1800speakup.org or visit the Crime Stoppers homepage.
- For more information on public safety, please visit the EMU Public Safety Tips homepage.
- EMU publishes a Daily Crime Log of all crimes reported to the EMU Department of Public Safety. This information can be viewed at EMU Daily Crime Log homepage. EMU also publishes the Daily Crime Log for the City of Ypsilanti.
- Online, real-time crime mapping covering EMU and the City of Ypsilanti is available at: http://geodata.acad.emich.edu/Crime/Main.htm.
Telephone numbers and email accounts listed above are set-up specifically for those who wish to report a crime or information related to a crime. Your identity will remain anonymous.
For questions pertaining to EMU Safety Tips or crime prevention, please contact Police Officer Candace Dorsey, Crime Prevention Coordinator at 487-0987 or by email at email@example.com. The Crime Prevention office is located within the EMU Police Department at 1200 Oakwood Street. Police Dispatch at 487-1222. For emergencies, call 911.
SEARCH SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITIES: To find out about current scholarship opportunities, go to search scholarships.