by Heather Hamilton, Published April 21, 2009
YPSILANTI —The Eastern Michigan University Board of Regents approved the appointments of nine new staff at its regular meeting April 21.
Of the 9 appointments, five (56 percent) are female and four (44 percent) are males. The group includes seven Caucasians (78 percent) and two African-Americans (22 percent).
Those receiving appointments are:
• Steve Szabo, of Hamilton, N.Y., assistant coach, men’s football. Before coming to EMU, Szabo was defensive coordinator/linebacker coach at Colgate University in 2008; linebackers coach at the University of Michigan during 2006-2007; and a defensive backfield coach for the Buffalo Bills in 2004-2005. During his 39-year career, Szabo has coached for the New England Patriots, the Jacksonville Jaguars, Boston College, Colorado State University, University of Northern Iowa, Edinboro University of Pennsylvania, Western Michigan University, Ohio State University, Iowa State University, Syracuse University, University of Iowa, University of Toledo and Johns Hopkins University. Szabo received his bachelor’s degree in naval science from the United States Naval Academy.
• Robert Goffeney, of Berkley, Mich., director, enterprise application services. Goffeney was previously the director of business applications for Champion Enterprises in Troy, Mich., from 2005-2008. Prior to that, he worked for TI Group Automotive Systems in Warren, Mich., from 1997-2005. Goffeney received his master’s degree in finance from Oakland University and his bachelor’s degree in information systems and industrial management from Lawrence Institute of Technology.
• Colin Harrington, of Fowlerville, Mich., production kitchen leader, dining services. Harrington previously worked for Rio Pinar Country Club in Orlando, Fla., as a souse chef from 2000-2008. Prior to that, he worked for Barton Hills Country Club in Ann Arbor from 1998-2000. Harrington received his associate’s degree in culinary arts from Washtenaw Community College.
• Ellen Bernard-Buie, of New Boston, Mich., health and safety specialist, health and safety administration. Before coming to EMU, Bernard-Buie was the senior project coordinator, electronics & instrumental engineering for Yazaki North America, Inc., in Canton, Mich., from 2003-2008. Prior to that, she was the project coordinator, component business unit for Yazaki North America from 2000-2003. Bernard-Buie received her master’s degree in hazardous materials management and her bachelor’s degree in business administration from Wayne State University.
• Audrey Crampton, of Otisville, Mich., regional manager, EMU-Flint. Previously, Crampton worked as a enrollment counselor for Rochester College from 2001-2009. Prior to that, she was a medical assistant for Park Plaza Medical Office in Flint from 1995-2001. Crampton received her bachelor’s degree in business communication from Rochester College.
Others receiving appointments are:
• Brandy Coburn, of Detroit customer service representative II, Northwest Activities Center, EMU-Detroit.
• Therese O’Neil-Darling, of New Boston, Mich., senior secretary, African-American Studies.
• Rene Crombez, of Adrian, research assistant I, Coatings Research Institute.
• Catherine Kabira, of Ann Arbor, wraparound program facilitator, special education.