Groove to the Motown beat during Eastern Michigan's Homecoming
by Pamela Young, Published September 25, 2009
YPSILANTI - The Eastern Michigan University campus will be swinging with a Motown beat during Homecoming Week, Sept. 28 through Oct. 3.
An action-packed week of activities, including a live performance by a member of Motown’s legendary Temptations, ties in to Motown’s 50th anniversary.
The main event is the EMU-Temple football game, Saturday, Oct. 3, with a 1 p.m. kickoff at Rynearson Stadium. The crowd will be treated to a Motown-flavored rendition of the national anthem by Allie Woodson, a member of the Temptations, and performances by the EMU alumni and marching bands. Reserved tickets and general admission are $9 for adults, $3 for 18 and under. To order tickets, call the EMU ticket office at 487.2282 or visit www.emutix.com
A variety of tailgates will be in full swing before the game:
- The Eagles’ Landing Fan Zone, just outside Oestrike Stadium, will offer beverages, live entertainment and Fan Zone activities from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Alumni can reconnect with old friends at the alumni “Go Green” tailgate, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., on the west side of Rynearson Stadium. Celebrate with food, music, cheerleaders, activities for children and EMU giveaway items. Proceeds will benefit the EMU Alumni Association Scholarship Fund.
- After the game, a concert by soul singer-songwriter Dwele, sponsored by 105.9 Kiss FM, will take place at Oestrike Stadium. Admission is free with a homecoming game ticket.
Homecoming activities during the week include:
- Showing your EMU spirit by donating a non-perishable food item for the SOS Community Center at one of the Spirit Stations, Sept. 28 - Oct. 2, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Student Center, the Recreation/Intramural building, the Pray-Harrold classroom building, Halle Library, the Eastern Eateries and the College of Business.
- An EMU T-shirt exchange is scheduled Thursday, Oct. 1, 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. outside Pray-Harrold. Trade in a gently used college or university item of clothing for a free EMU t-shirt. All donations will benefit a local shelter.
- A ‘Shop Around the Block’ party will be Oct. 1, 6-8 p.m., at the Student Center patio. Giveaways, contests and the Motown grooves will echo through campus to welcome participating businesses of the Eagle Discount Card program, as they show what they have to offer with promotional materials.
- The annual pep rally will follow the block party at 8 p.m. at University Park. The rally will feature a D.J. from 105.9 Kiss F.M., EMU cheerleaders, the EMU marching band, giveaways and prizes.
- A free “Friday Night At The Movies” night will feature “Milk,” Friday, Oct. 2, 7 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. at the Student Center Auditorium.
- The women’s volleyball team takes on the University of Toledo, Oct. 2, 7 p.m., at the Convocation Center.
For the latest information about Eastern Michigan’s Homecoming activities, visit www.emich.edu/homecoming