by Ward Mullens, Published September 21, 2010
YPSILANTI - The Eastern Michigan University Board of Regents approved the appointments of five new lecturers at its regular meeting Sept 21.
All five appointments are female. Demographics show four (80 percent) are Caucasian and one (20 percent) is African American.
New lecturers and their departments are:
• Rula Hashem, of Fort Wayne, Ind., lecturer I, mathematics. Before coming to EMU, Hashem was an adjunct mathematics instructor at Franklin University in Columbus, Ohio, and Ivy Technical Community College in Fort Wayne, Ind., both since January 2009. She also was a part-time mathematics instructor at the Michigan Islam Academy in Ann Arbor since September 2009. Hashem received her master's degree and bachelor's degree in mathematics, both from the University of Texas El-Paso.
• Sharon Holt, of Bath, Mich., lecturer I, school of health sciences. Holt previously was an adjunct lecturer at EMU from 2006-2010 and a lecturer at Michigan State University from 2006-2009. Holt received her master's degree in health science from the University of Indianapolis and separate bachelor's degrees in occupational therapy and dance, both from Western Michigan University.
• Sandra Pernecky, of Ann Arbor, lecturer I, school of health sciences. Pernecky previously was a part-time registered dietitian at the University of Michigan's MFit Division from 2005-2008. She has been an adjunct lecturer at EMU from 2004-2010. Pernecky received her master's degree in human nutrition from Eastern Michigan University and her bachelor's degree in dietetics from Mount Mary College in Milwaukee, Wisc.
• Pamela Reese, of Roseville, lecturer I, English language and literature. Before coming to EMU, Reese was a plant communications manager for General Motors in Romulus from 2008-2009. Before that, she was assistant media relations manager for GM from 2004-2008. Reese received her master's degree in communication from the University of Houston and her bachelor's degree in geography from Eastern Michigan University.
• Deborah Samuels, of Dexter, lecturer I, communication, media and theatre arts. Samuels previously was a graduate teaching assistant at Eastern Michigan University from 2005-2007 and a fitness trainer at Curves in Dexter from 2002-2007. Samuels received her master's degree in art and her bachelor's degree in communication/theater arts, both from Eastern Michigan University.