EMU regents approve 11 new staff appointments
by Ward Mullens, Published October 19, 2010
YPSILANTI - The Eastern Michigan University Board of Regents approved the appointments of 11 new staff at its regular meeting Oct. 19.
Of the 11 appointments, seven (64 percent) are females and four (36 percent) are males. The group includes four Caucasians (36 percent), six African Americans (55 percent) and one Hispanic (9 percent)
Those receiving appointments are:
- Dean Backos, of Shelby Township, director, purchasing. Before coming to EMU, Backos was director of procurement-global sourcing at CA Technologies in Islandia, N.Y., from 2009-2010 and a supply chain management consultant for Resources Global Professional in Detroit from 2008-2009. He received his MBA in finance and his bachelor's degree in psychology, both from Wayne State University.
- Matthew Mortier, of Canton, admissions adviser, admissions-off campus outreach. Before coming to EMU, Mortier was a shift supervisor at Rite Aid Corporation in Livonia during 2010 and a teller at JP Morgan Chase Bank in Northville during 2010. He received his bachelor's degree in business administration (management) from Eastern Michigan University.
- Daicia Smith, of Ypsilanti, field unit supervisor-social work, College of Health and Human Services. Previously, Smith was a housing support specialist at Catholic Social Services/Avalon Housing in Ann Arbor from 2007-2010. She also served as a relapse prevention specialist at Starr Commonwealth in Albion during 2006-2007. Smith received her master's degree and bachelor's degree in social work, both from Eastern Michigan University.
- Kerri Stephenson, of Livonia, accountant/analyst, financial services. Before coming to EMU, Stephenson was a financial analyst with Bridgewater Interiors in Detroit from 2007-2010. Previously, she was a financial analyst with TechnoTrim, Inc., in Plymouth from 2000-2007. Stephenson received her master's degree in leadership studies from Madonna University and her bachelor's degree in accounting from Eastern Michigan University.
- Benjamin Fielder, of Pontiac, admissions adviser, admissions-off campus outreach. Prior to coming to EMU, Fielder was an undergraduate admissions adviser at Oakland University (dates unavailable). He received his bachelor's degree in musical theatre from Oakland University.
- Cali Crawford, of Canton, manager, women's basketball operations, intercollegiate athletics. Previously, Crawford served as women's basketball manager from 2009-2010. Before that, she was an athletics intern at Schoolcraft College from 2008-2009. She received her master's degree in sports management from Eastern Michigan University and her bachelor's degree in sports management from Madonna University.
- Yvette Harris, of Ypsilanti, assistant coach, women's basketball, intercollegiate athletics. Prior to coming to EMU, Harris was a recruiting coordinator at Western Michigan University from 2008-2010. She also was a head girl's varsity basketball coach at Romulus High School from 2007-2008. She received her master's degree in administration from Western Michigan University and her bachelor's degree in business administration from the University of Detroit-Mercy.
- Randall Jones Jr., of Woodhaven, assistant athletic academic program specialist, intercollegiate athletics academic advising.
- Lisa Wells, of Lansing, administrative assistant II, Institute for the Study of Children and Families.
- Brianna Schubert, of Dearborn, payment and student account specialist, student business services.
- Chaquita Willis, of Belleville, secretary II, school of health promotion and human performance.