by Debra Johnson, Published September 14, 2012
The completion of Phase Two of the Science Complex, a state-of-the art facility that will help educate future teachers, researchers and other science-related professionals, highlights an active summer of construction at Eastern Michigan University.
Phase Two, which involved the renovation of the former Mark Jefferson Building, includes refurbished labs, classrooms and academic offices. Along with the Science Complex Addition, which opened in the winter of 2011, Phase Two wrapped up a three-year, self-funded $90 million capital project.
Green technologies were incorporated throughout the Science Complex, making it one of the most environmentally sound facilities on campus. Phase Two renovations included installation of a variety of high-tech amenities, including special hoods and ventilation systems for labs and new furnishings for classrooms, offices and in the study spaces for students.
The Science Complex Addition, which faces Oakwood Street, features a planetarium suspended above a five-story atrium that serves as a visually impressive gathering place for students and staff. The Science Complex houses the biology, chemistry and psychology departments.
Hoyt Residence Hall, one of three residential towers located on the north end of campus, received a facelift that includes new furniture, carpeting, paint, shower valves and finishes in the lobby and bathrooms. In addition, half of the dorm rooms were converted from single rooms to doubles. The renovation project cost $2.16 million.
The Rackham Building, originally constructed in 1938 and renovated in 1968, was updated with new HVAC units along with new energy efficient windows and exterior doors. The EMU Department of Public Safety's Environmental Health and Safety office is located in Rackham, along with faculty offices for the College of Health and Human Services and several other campus units.
Other noteworthy capital projects completed over the summer include:
In addition, several buildings received mechanical upgrades, including Alexander, Pierce, Halle, Owen, Porter, and Marshall, and fencing was installed along a portion of Oakwood Street and the Alexander Music Building. Routine maintenance was performed to several parking lots on campus.