Campus safety tips
Originally sent at 11:34 a.m.
by Walter Kraft, Published December 12, 2012
In light of the death of the student reported earlier today and the investigation of an apparent homicide, we would like to repeat these important safety tips provided by the EMU Department of Public Safety:
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Dial 911 for emergencies on campus land lines.
- Dial 734-487-1222 for emergencies from a cellular telephone.
- Do not give money or other items requested to solicitors.
- Use SEEUS for escorts to and from any location on EMU campus during the evening hours.
- Use the buddy-buddy system. Do not walk alone after normal business hours.
- Check Eaglemail announcements for campus alerts.
- Be familiar with the locations of campus telephones: emergency telephones located within campus facilities and outdoor emergency telephone campus locations.
- Be suspicious of unsolicited visitors.
- Report all strange or questionable activities and/or encounters with individuals to the Police Department.
- Trust your instincts with encounters with strangers for your personal safey.
- Remain as calm as possible when reporting or describing an incident to the police or a police dispatcher.
- Take time to learn options for your personal safety.
- Place a courtesy call (advising of your location) to the EMU Police Dept. dispatch when entering EMU facilities after normal business hours (487-1222).