Psychological needs of children with severe food allergies, predicting mental well-being in older adults and effects of carbohydrates in beverages in children are among New Faculty Research Award projects
Eighteen faculty members will receive a total of $78,660 for research projects
by Debra Johnson, Published March 25, 2014
YPSILANTI – The Eastern Michigan University Board of Regents unanimously approved the Provost’s New Faculty Research Awards for 2014-15 at its March 25 board meeting.
Kim Schatzel, provost and vice president of academic and student affairs at Eastern Michigan University, awarded a total of $78,660 to eighteen new Eastern faculty members for research and creative projects under the Provost’s Research Award for New Faculty program.
The competitive awards offer up to $5,000 to each faculty member during their first or second year of employment to support their projects. The program is intended to help new faculty establish a research agenda that will make them more competitive for external funding.
The award recipients are as follows:
- Kimberly L. Barrett (sociology, anthropology and criminology). “Testing the Association between Community Lead (Pb) Presence and Juvenile Delinquency.”
- Deborah Collins-Bohler (nursing). “The Lived Experiences of Breast Cancer Survivors with Lymphedema from Diverse Ethnic Origins.”
- Sun Hae Jang (health promotion and human performance). “Sagital Misalignment Patterns in Comparison of Coronal Curve Patterns in Idiopathic Scoliosis.”
- Megan K. Moore (sociology, anthropology and criminology). “Curation and Inventory of a Medieval French Skeletal Collection.”
- Rebecca Moore (health promotion and human performance). “Effect of a Carbohydrate Beverage on Exercise Performance in Children 9-11 Years Old.”
- Mary-Elizabeth Murphy (history and philosophy). “’A National and Local Affair’: African American Women and Political Activism in Interwar Washington, D. C.”
- Linda Myler (nursing). “Simulation for Remediation of Nursing Students in the Clinical Setting.”
- Mariana Nicolae (computer information systems). “Customer Behavior Based Targeted Promotions as Predicators of Profitability in Repeat Online and In-Store Retail Transactions.”
- Alankrita Pandey (management). “Examining the Impacts of Human Capital, Social Capital and Psychological Capital on Employee Behavior and Performance.”
- Kate Pantelides (English language and literature). “Mapping Dissertation Genre Ecology.”
- Catherine C. Peterson (psychology). “Parent Survey of Psychological Needs of Children with Severe Food Allergies.”
- Ann P. Rall (social work). “Poverty Warriors Video Project.”
- Chris Reilly (art). “Intimate Instruments Workshop.”
- Brian Gregory Sellers (sociology, anthropology and criminology). “Testing the Factor Structure of the STAR: AV to Inform Intervention with Justice-Involved Youth.”
- Kathy Seurynck (nursing). “Evaluation of Nursing Students using Objective Structured Clinical Examination.”
- Heather Shouldice (music and dance). “An Investigation of the Musical Identities, Self-Perceptions, and Motivation of Elementary Students in Relation to their Experiences in School Music Classes.”
- Sarah Walsh (health services). “Predicting Mental Well-Being for Older Adults: The Role of Social Capital.”
- Andrew Wilfong (mathematics). “Classifying the Number of Faces of Smooth Polytopes.”
To read more about the Provost’s New Faculty Research Awards, please visit http://www.emich.edu/aa/internal_research/nfa.html.