EMU students-athletes have best academic semester in school history
YPSILANTI - The grade reports have been released for the 2005-06 fall semester and Eastern Michigan University’s student-athletes have turned in the best academic semester in school history.
The overall academic performance for student-athletes for the fall semester was the best ever for a single term at 3.059. The cumulative GPA for the entire department is 3.065. During the 2005fall semester a total of 273 student-athletes (58%) earned a 3.0 GPA or higher.
"The student-athlete academic report for the 2005 fall semester is an extremely positive one for our department," EMU Interim Athletics Director Bob England said. "Our student-athletes, as well as student-athlete support services (SASS), devote a
lot of time and effort to improving academic performance and they should all be congratulated on this success for the entire University."
"Obviously, our staff and student-athletes work closely to make sure that a major emphasis is put on the academic success for our teams and this 2005 fall report is the proof that all of that hard work is paying off," said Erin Burdis, EMU’s assistant
director of SASS. "We are very happy with the results from this past semester and we expect that success to continue into the future."
Other highlights for the 2005 fall semester include:
• Total number of teams with a 3.0 GPA (fall semester): 13
• Total number of teams with a 3.0 GPA (cumulative): 14
• Total number of teams that improved from fall, 2004: 14
• Total number of teams that improved from fall, 2004 cum.: 10
• Highest male fall 2005 team GPA: Baseball: 3.335
• Highest female fall 2005 team GPA: Tennis: 3.684
• Highest male cumulative GPA: Baseball: 3.181
• Highest female cumulative GPA: Gymnastics: 3.525
• Total 4.0 fall semester GPA’s: 22
• Team with most 4.0 fall semester GPA’s: Football: 5
Eastern Michigan University is a public, comprehensive university that offers programs in the arts, sciences and professions. EMU prepares students with the intellectual skills and practical experiences to succeed in their careers and lives, and to be better citizens.
Eastern Michigan University is a public, comprehensive university that offers programs in the arts, sciences and professions. EMU prepares students with the intellectual skills and practical experiences to succeed in their career and lives, and to be better citizens.
Editor's Note: Looking for an expert source for a story? Check out EMU's Eastern Experts online at www.emich.edu/univcomm/easternexperts.