EMU regents approve 14 staff appointments
YPSILANTI - The Eastern Michigan University Board of Regents approved the appointments of 14 staff at its regular meeting March 16.
Of the 14 appointments, there are seven females (50 percent) and seven males (50 percent). The group includes seven Caucasians (50 percent), five African-Americans (36 percent), and two Asians (14 percent).
Those receiving appointments are:
· Joe Palka of Temperance, assistant coach, football, intercollegiate athletics. Palka previously was linebackers/strong safety coach for Adrian College from 2002-2003. Prior to that, he was head football coach for St. Joseph's College in Rensselaer, In., from 1995-96. Palka earned his master's degree in administration from the University of Toledo and his bachelor's degree in education from Eastern Michigan University.
· Candice M. White of Detroit, academic affairs employment/affirmative action specialist. White previously was a graduate assistant for the assistant vice president for academic affairs at Eastern Michigan University from 2000-2004. White earned her bachelor's degree in computer-aided design from Eastern Michigan University.
· Shengyao Duan of Ypsilanti, research associate II, Institute for Geospatial Research and Education (formerly CEITA). Since 2001, Duan has worked for EMU's Institution for Geo-spatial Research Education. While there, he has been system designer and developer for a school bus monitoring system and the WebPolis Consortium. Duan earned her master's degrees in computer science from Eastern Michigan University and in geographical information systems (GIS) from East China Normal University in Shanghai, China. He received his bachelor's degree in geography from Hunan Normal University in Changsha, China.
Others receiving appointments are:
· Bethany Landingham , of Inkster, secretary II, continuing certification.
· Rebekah Tripp of Adrian, customer service representative, office of the registrar.
· Erin Scott of Clarkston, graduation auditor/evaluator, office of the registrar.
· Lolita Thomas of Flint, customer service representative II, Continuing Education Regional Center, Flint.
· Dawn Stentzel of Ann Arbor, office supervisor, The Learning Center.
· Nathan Dykes of Ypsilanti, custodian, custodial services.
· Veronica Harris of Ypsilanti, custodian, custodial services.
· Matthew Holder of Ypsilanti, custodian, HDC support services, housing.
· Lobsang Jimpa of Wayne, custodian, HDC support services, housing.
· Timothy Lowe of Ypsilanti, custodian, HDC support services, housing.· Pat Thomas of Ann Arbor, custodian, HDC support services, housing.
Eastern Michigan University is a public, comprehensive university that offers programs in the arts, sciences and professions. EMU prepares students with the intellectual skills and practical experiences to succeed in their career and lives, and to be better citizens.
Editor's Note: Looking for an expert source for a story? Check out EMU's Eastern Experts online at www.emich.edu/univcomm/easternexperts.