May 25, 2004
CONTACT: Carol Anderson
EMU honors chemistry students for outstanding accomplishments
YPSILANTI Eastern Michigan University recently honored students at the 43rd annual Chemistry Alumni and Awards Banquet in Ann Arbor. The awards included scholarships, fellowships and recognitions of achievement.
"The awards recognize the accomplishments of those who did well this year and encourages them to continue their outstanding work," said Wade Tornquist, professor and head of EMU's Chemistry Department.
The students, hometowns and awards include:
- Robert Anderson, Stockbridge , Honors Undergraduate Fellowship and Undergraduate Symposium XXIV participant.
- Matthew Bidlack, Farmington Hills , American Institute of Chemists Award, Honors Thesis Fellowship, Honors Undergraduate Fellowship and Undergraduate Symposium XXIV participant (University Honors program graduate).
- William Collin, Saline , Sandra J. Lobbestael Scholarship and the Hypercube Scholar Award.
- Devin Foether, Vassar , CRC Press Freshman Chemistry Achievement Award.
- Michael Gabor, Saline ,Undergraduate Symposium XXIV participant .
- Paula Gutman, Sylvania, Ohio, Bert W. Peet Award, ACS Division of Analytical Chemistry Award, Honors Undergraduate Fellowship and Undergraduate Symposium XXIV participant (University Honors program graduate).
- Laura Kelly, Dexter , ACS Huron Valley Section Undergraduate Award and the Biochemistry Achievement Award.
- Kathryn Lawrence, Pinckney, Toxicology Achievement Award and Undergraduate Symposium XXIV participant.
- Lisa LeFevre, Macomb, Donald B. Phillips Memorial Scholarship.
- Troy Lipan, Saginaw, Huron Valley Publishing Scholarship Award.
- Mary McPhail, Ypsilanti, Perry S. Brundage Scholarship.
- Anthony Meade, Romulus, Collins' Endowed Scholarship in Chemistry.
- Kristie Mitchell, Belleville, Pfizer Toxicology Scholarship.
- Reshmi Perumplavil, Ypsilanti, University Fellowship.
- Megan Reardon, Northville , Toxicology Achievement Award.
- Kristyn Spangler, Ypsilanti , Undergraduate Symposium XXIV participant.
- Jennifer Stephens, Waterford, Maurice Decoster Chemistry Scholarship, Honors Undergraduate Fellowship and Undergraduate Symposium XXIV participant.
- Suzanne Sweeney, Chesterfield, Perry S. Brundage Scholarship.
- R. Aaron Vogt, Brighton, Maurice Decoster Chemistry Scholarship.
For additional information, contact Wade Tornquist at 734.487.0106.
Eastern Michigan University is a public, comprehensive
university that offers programs in the arts, sciences and professions.
EMU prepares students with the intellectual skills and practical experiences
to succeed in their career and lives, and to be better citizens.
Editor's Note: Looking for an expert source for a story? Check out
EMU's Eastern Experts online at www.emich.edu/univcomm/easternexperts.
EMU Home | University Communications Home