June 17, 2008
CONTACT: Krystin Jarrell
EMU Regents approve 35 faculty promotions, grant tenure to 19
YPSILANTI — The Eastern Michigan University Board of Regents granted promotions for 35 faculty members and tenure for 19 at its regular meeting June 17.
Faculty who apply for promotion are evaluated by standards provided in the Eastern Michigan University/Eastern Michigan University – American Association of University Professors (AAUP) Master Agreement and individual evaluation documents established for each academic department. Evaluation standards address instructional effectiveness, scholarly and/or creative activity and service.
Newly-hired tenure-track faculty, who are on probation, are evaluated annually in accordance with the AAUP contract, instructional effectiveness, scholarly and/or creative activity, and service. Favorable probationary evaluations and a favorable, final full evaluation lead to a recommendation for tenure.
Faculty who were promoted and granted tenure are:
- Kunal Banerji, associate professor, management;
- Steven Benninghoff, associate professor, English language and literature;
- Tana Bridge, associate professor, social work;
- Michelle Byrd, associate professor, psychology;
- Robert Carpenter, associate professor, teacher education;
- Megan Endres, associate professor, management;
- Bradley Ensor, associate professor, sociology, anthropology & criminology;
- Robert Jones, associate professor, geography & geology;
- Ellen Koch, associate professor, psychology;
- Volker Krause, associate professor, political science;
- John Palladino, associate professor, special education;
- Loreena Parks, associate professor, special education;
- Elif Persinger,associate professor, marketing;
- Sandra Rutherford, associate professor, geography and geology;
- Thomas Suchan, associate professor, art;
- Guey-Meei Yang,associate professor, art.
Faculty members who received promotions and their new titles are:
- Peggy Liggit, professor, biology;
- Lee Stille,professor, communication and theatre arts;
- Linda Adler-Kassner,professor, English language and literature;
- Christine Neufeld,associate professor, English language and literature;
- Pamela Graves,professor, history and philosophy;
- Philip Schmitz, professor, history and philosophy;
- Sarah Fabian, assistant professor, library;
- Eric Owen, associate professor, library;
- Barbara Britton, professor, mathematics;
- Julianne O’Brien-Pedersen, professor, music and dance;
- James Carroll, professor, physics and astronomy;
- Jeffrey Bernstein, professor, political science;
- Richard Stahler-Sholk, professor, political science;
- Flora Hoodin, professor, psychology;
- Harvey Lyons, professor, engineering technology;
- Colleen Croxall, associate professor, health sciences;
- Valerie Howells, professor, health sciences;
- Virginia Lan, professor, nursing;
- Ronald Fulkert, professor, technology studies.
Faculty members who received tenure appointments only include:
- Susan Martin, professor, accounting and finance.
- Jiang Lu, assistant professor, engineering technology;
- Sema Kalaian, associate professor, technology studies.
Eastern Michigan University is a public, comprehensive
university that offers programs in the arts, sciences and professions.
EMU prepares students with the intellectual skills and practical experiences
to succeed in their career and lives, and to be better citizens.
Editor's Note: Looking for an expert source for a story? Check out
EMU's Eastern Experts online at www.emich.edu/univcomm/easternexperts.
EMU Home | University Communications Home