Sept. 19 , 2004
CONTACT: Carol Anderson
Maya Angelou appearance highlights EMU Homecoming Week festivities
YPSILANTI – A visit by renowned poet Maya Angelou; an oozeball mud volleyball tournament; a coaching clinic for fans; a Greek Step Show; and alumni celebrating their 50th reunion are just a few of the special events planned for Eastern Michigan University’s Homecoming Week, Sept. 26-Oct. 2.
The weeklong celebration culminates with the EMU Eagles battling the Idaho Vandals in a 2 p.m. football game, Saturday, Oct. 2, at Rynearson Stadium.
“Homecoming 2004 offers numerous activities for alumni, faculty, staff, students and the community,” said Vicki Reaume, director of EMU alumni relations.
EMU Homecoming highlights include:
Seventh Annual Oozeball Mud Volleyball Tournament
- Students are planning to get slimed and be slimed at the Seventh Annual Oozeball Mud Volleyball Tournament, Sunday, Sept. 26, 1 p.m. at Hoyt Field. The event includes a D.J. food and giveaways. A kick-off barbecue follows the Oozeball Mud Volleyball Tournament from 2-4 p.m. at Hoyt Field. Donations will go toward Ypsilanti Meals on Wheels
- Enjoy the movie “Shrek 2” free, Tuesday, Sept. 28, 9 p.m., Roosevelt Hall.
An evening with Maya Angelou
- Renowned poet Maya Angelou will appear at EMU’s Convocation Center, Thursday, Sept. 30, 8 p.m. Tickets are $5-$10 (students) and $15-$30 (public). For details, call Campus Life, 734.487.3045.
14th Annual Greek Step Show
- Performance includes a variety of synchronized percussive movements – clapping singing, speaking, chanting or acting, Friday, Oct. 1, 7 p.m., Convocation Center. Doors open at
6 p.m. Advance tickets are $10. The event is presented by the Black Alumni Chapter. For more information, call Eric Brown, 734.844.9061 or EMU ticket office, 734.487.2282.
Class of 1954 Golden Years Reunion
- “Honoring the Class of 1954” is a reunion Friday, Oct. 1, noon – 2 p.m. at McKenny Union Ballroom. Other alumni reunions include the baseball team, Rec/IM staff, student media, marching band, cheerleaders, homecoming kings and queens, McKenny Union and Campus Life, and Greek groups.
Fans Coaching Clinic
- Jeff Genyk will demonstrate football basics at the Fourth Annual Fans Coaching Clinic, a football 101 workshop Saturday, Oct. 2, 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., at Rynearson Stadium. A $5 donation will benefit Ypsilanti Meals on Wheels. Participants will receive a free T-shirt. Call 734.487.0077.
“Go Green” Alumni Tailgate
- The game-day celebration continues with an alumni tailgate, noon-2 p.m., and a student tailgate, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. Both tailgates are outside Rynearson Stadium before the Homecoming game.
For a complete listing of the Homecoming 2004 events, visit www.emich.edu/homecoming or call Alumni Relations, 734.487.0250.
Eastern Michigan University is a public, comprehensive
university that offers programs in the arts, sciences and professions.
EMU prepares students with the intellectual skills and practical experiences
to succeed in their career and lives, and to be better citizens.
Editor's Note: Looking for an expert source for a story? Check out
EMU's Eastern Experts online at www.emich.edu/univcomm/easternexperts.
EMU Home | University Communications Home